For the Children

I began reading Meg Wheatley’s book So Far From Home. Similar to Parker Palmer, she uses poetry to bring her message to life. She quoted Gary Snyder at one point and I recognized it from a retreat I attended. Her point is we live in a world of relationships and not just science. When I look at the sadness of our world, the constant conflict in it, and the violence, I can only wonder if it is a result of loneliness and separation we experience? I will ponder that during my Sabbath.

The rising hills, the slopes,
of statistics
lie before us.
the steep climb
of everything, going up,
up, as we all
go down.

In the next century
or the one beyond that,
they say,
are valleys, pastures,
we can meet there in peace
if we make it.

To climb these coming crests
one word to you, to
you and your children:

stay together
learn the flowers
go light

1. brought tears to my eyes: “we live in a world of relationships…stay together” :)

2. Beautiful. Very Nice and Inspiring Post. The expression of feelings really marvelous.
    Let us learn
    To walk together,
    Talk together,
    Work together,
    Love together,
    And live together.

ALL THE BEST.

3. Thank you for this post!

Your thoughts about conflict and violence may being the result of loneliness and separation resonates a lot with my own ideas about the world. I have a feeling that isolation and separation, indeed, are the source of the first two, as feeling isolated and separated often seems to cause fear.
    Somebody, I don’t remember who it was, once said:
    “fear is the opposite of love.”
    I investigated this idea for quite a while throughout my own life and experienced that quote as very true for myself.
    So I wonder how the world would look like if all of us – instead of feeling seperated (from each other, from ourselves, from our dreams and visions, from what ever) – we would feel loved with every cell of our hearts and every particle of our souls?

(Hope that makes sense)

• It does make sense Stefanie. Thomas Merton and, more recently Parker Palmer, wrote about the loneliness caused by constant busyness. They use the word activism, but it is a similar concept. The first violence is against our self.

• I can agree with that idea, Ivon. And who knows what we would find if we look at the cause behind that “activism”. I have seen that so often that people kept themselves busy out of fear: fear to loose the job, fear to look at trauma that is showing up, fear to not be good enough, and so on… But when we focus on the Now there is no fear. Julia Cameron once stated in her book The Artists Way that this moment, in the Now, everything always is alright. At closer investigation I experience that as true and therefore recon that in the Now there is only love. – And the good message is: It is always Now! :D

Thank you for the inspiring exchange, btw!

• You are welcome Stefanie.

4. Life is as such … I am looking for meaning of life in this New Year. Thanks Ivon for that post.

5. Once, your ancestors sat in the sun,
    Staying together, learning the flowers,
    going light –
    and imagined you.

6. This certainly turned my head around. Thanks for the like. Journey well.