Dreams

It was a long day. I feel tired and I was not as close to 100% as I thought. Despite that, I had an interesting conversation and, on the way home, I wondered if many children’s dreams have exploded? Do children dream like I did when I was a child? Do some children while others are afraid or unable to dream? I turned those questions over and they reminded me of Langston Hughes’ wonderful poetry. What is my role in holding their dreams with them?

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.

1. So true ivon….., I love this.

Warm regards,
    mei

2. Beautiful! Hope you’ll get to 100% soon.

3. I’m sure you do well to cultivate dreams by your commitment to your students and your desire to inspire. Keep giving your best.

4. My kids tell me about their dreams all the time. Super hero dreams, flying, dreams. Today, my 14 year old told me about a dream where a person had a high heel shoe on and stepped on my sons hand. The person put all their weight on the spikey heel that was on his hand. Crazy. I love dreams. :)

• I do to. What struck me in my conversation yesterday was the student did not seem to have a dream of who he could be or wanted to be. It set me to wondering how many children have lost that and it is nice to hear that your children still have it and share it.

5. so right. no hope without dreams

6. Rotten virus’ {or whatever it is} I’ve got a nasty cough, cold or something making kleenex and tea with honey my best friend.

Like that poem, haven’t encountered it before. Your post reminded me of my earliest dream…it takes place at an old friends ..not sure why there…but the only thing that has stayed with me is at some point I remember Van Gogh and the ear he cut off. I remember I was really young when I dreamt it…7 , maybe 8 years old.

7. This is so touching. For many people out there, dreams are all they have to hold onto. I’ve had many dreams throughout my lifetime… none of which I’ve ever really achieved in the sense of what I thought they’d be. But as I grow, I realize my dreams were not what my life needed to become. Only now, I’m realizing what a dream is meant to be. :)

• I agree. There is a maturity that comes to our dreams. Sometimes we realize the life we live is what we dreamed for. But for some, dreams are all they have. They are escape from the harshness of life.

8. Reblogged this on abstramification and commented:
    Everyone should take the time to read this and really soak it in.

9. Dreams are solace for the soul- the unfulfilled desires and wishes that we all aspire to achieve.This is such a wonderful verse that you have shared with your readers- very poignant thoughts.Dreams are the handle bars that we all like to cling to knowing very well that we may have to let them go when faced with the harshness of actuality.

• Langston Hughes had such an incredible way of bringing abstracts to life with his metaphors. In another poem, Mother to Son, he talks about the harshness of reality and not letting go, but allowing the experiences of tough times shape character and motivate further. Thank you for a wonderful comment.

10. Dreams, goals, hopes all give us the motive to live, take those away we become nothing.