Haiku Sampling

I have not posted haiku for a while. We wrote haiku as our last activity of the poetry unit. Whenever we write poems, I roam the classroom with a marker in hand. There are four whiteboards in the room and I write randomly as thoughts come. It helps students on two levels. I write poetry and it is not just them being told to do it. As well, I offer exemplars, some good and some less so. Here is a haiku sampling.

Water seeks freedom

Released from lethargy

Water plunges, plummets.

100_4206

Fry it in a pan

Friends for eggs and potatoes

Pig meat, oh soooo good!

Did I mention some were not great?

Fedora wearing

The coolest Rat Pack member

Sinatra maybe.

One student wears a fedora. I mentioned that it reminded me of the Rat Pack. He had no idea what that was or who Frank Sinatra was, but I told him it was cool to be compared to Frank Sinatra.

1. Great haiku and great teaching method. I wonder if it’s possible to publish the students haiku.

• It is. I would get permission which is probably not the difficult or I could publish them without sharing names. I have done something similar with Science projects we have done. I will try to do something in the next week or so.

Thank you for a great idea Eric.

2. I couldn’t help but chuckle at the blurb after the last haiku.
    I’m old enough to know who you are talking about. ;)

• And, now my students can say they are old enough to recall Sinatra might be a singer. I listened to him on the radio as I drove home sing Fly Me to the Moon. It was a nice finish to the day.

3. That last one is DEFINITELY my favorite. In fact, it could stand up to most of the great haiku I’ve read by Buson, Issa and Basho!

4. Oh these poor young folk who do not know of Frank Sinatra and company.

5. I really like numbers 1 & 3. And yes…way to be hands-on as an educator! My Dad was a Prof Dr. (of physics) and I respect the teaching profession enormously. :)

6. Your comment about Sinatra and the student made me smile! Love the haikus!

7. Yes, kids need to see teachers actively writing! I am glad you do that. (Remember Stephen King shared his work with his students too, back when he was “nobody”.)
    Every time I hear Sinatra I think of the bulletin board our art teacher had in high school:

To be is to do:Socrates
    To do is to be: Sartre
    Do Be Do Be Do: Sinatra

Great post!

8. Perhaps haiku as a Japanese Art form is served best by direct and unclouded observation. It could be nature or everyday events, relayed as is! Cheers professore. :D

9. Frank who? ;-D! I mentioned “Jonathan Livingston Seagull” in a post awhile back and a significant percentage of the younger readers appeared to have no idea as to who that was. Of course, there are many people in their generation’s pop culture whom I have no idea about either. That is even beginning to happen to my grown children. They are losing the “cool” of youth.
    Russ

• Knowing who Jonathan Livingston Seagull is requires owning the soundtrack in vinyl. I take it upon myself to share the things I enjoy from previous generations. My students are always surprised when I say I listen to Lady Gaga or others of the modern generation.