Ode to a Bookstore

Kathy and I escaped Phoenix relatively unscathed. We love bookstores and on several occasions we bought extra suitcases to carry trophies home.

Despite escaping relatively unscathed, there was still a close call and it found its way into a poem.

There it sat

I had sensed it

Even heard it call my name

Oh so furtively and seductively.

There it was

I knew it was close by

It sat in the back corner

A harsh piece of asphalt

Yet, so compelling and inviting.

I hurried

Some might even say I scurried

But, I heard a cautionary voice

Some might even say threatening

“You only get one!”

“That is your allowance!”

I entered that sanctuary

That quiet, hallowed place

Ah, a bookstore

Not just some Internet siren

It was a real live bookstore

What a treat!

1. Yes, I love browsing in bookstores too – especially the smaller ones.

2. wonderful! i have a sudden urge to drop by the bookstore

3. I’d love to spend the night in one and just listen. Glad you came by.

4. libraries and book stores; my favorite places to visit.

5. A bookstore is a wonderful place to visit. So many treasures!

6. A double thank you Ivon, wonderful post and poem!

7. Oh, the Kindle-only bookstores will be dust-less and un-fun! I also love stores that specialize in paper, notebooks, and cards. Mmmm!

8. Oh yes, I know that voice.. but I always come out with three or four, regretfully leaving half a dozen others behind!!!
    Love your poem…

9. As all of the comments before mine, I understand the pull, my sensibilities seek out bookstores as one might an oasis.

10. My whole family could get sucked into bookstores for hours at a time. Luckily no one minded.

11. would you believe there is only 1 bookstore left in all of Santa Barbara? A Christian bookstore, too, not even a Barnes and Noble. :(

12. Ahhh – a good bookstore is such a wondrous place! I’m glad you found a good one on your trip.

13. The joy of being in an old bookstore, I could be lost in for hours… and libraries.

14. Browsing Bookstores (and libraries) used to be my favourite pastime, but now i can’t bend to read the book spines sideways and can’t stand still for long (even though I walk slowly for hours).
    I miss those bookstores that have closed down in recent years too. I used to love seeing children sitting on the floor in the children’s sections engrossed in a new story or pictures. Even now, I find a home without books strange to the eye.