I Am a Teacher

A student gave me this poem Thursday. The Alberta Teachers Association published it in their monthly newspaper recently. Susan Holland, a retiring teacher, wrote it. Is there such a thing as a retiring teacher?

The poem encapsulates many of my current feelings and points to the impact we have on children and families. The gesture of giving me the poem is deeply meaningful and I am grateful to receive and share it.

I Am a Teacher

You are my children.

We triumph together when you master cursive.

We struggle through long division.

I wipe away your tears when something bruises you elbow

Or someone bruises your heart.

You read to me—I read to you.

We laugh over silly jokes or stories.

I introduce you to new words—

You refresh me with new perspectives.

I wasn’t there when you were born.

I don’t tuck you in at night …

Or dance at your wedding.

But, you are my children.

And as June draws to a close

I grow melancholy.

You will move on and I will stay behind to start again.

And as the years pass you blend, merge, and mingle—

Warp and weft intertwined into my universal child.

I am a teacher.

You are the fabric of my life.

1. Beautifully written and so very true! Teaching encompasses so much emotion. Blessings on your work. Smiles

2. “…..You are the fabric of my life” — Beautiful poem!

3. Wow! Great tribute to a teacher, I really liked this and it is a little sad when you say goodbye to fifth graders going on to middle school or 8th graders going on to high school. But the nice thing about other grades, you get to see their growth and development before they move on.

4. Lovely poem. >KB

5. Your legacy is how you have helped shape young minds that will live on long beyond your own life in many of them.

6. It’s not possible to turn it off, even if you wanted to. The thing is to find new ways to channel it :>)

7. What a lovely and touching poem… A special teacher and lots of lucky children!

8. I think that truly reflects the values of a teacher…I have a lot of teachers in my family. But the problem seems to arise, when everyone they meet, they think is their student! :D

9. I Nominate you for Bouquet of Super Awards – 27 Nominations

please choose any 5 awards out of the 27
    accept it and oblige

there are no linkbacks for this award