Logan’s Pass

Logan’s Pass includes the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park. When I looked, the view was spectacular and breathtaking.  The park was named for the many glaciers that are part of the landscape and so visible through Logan’s Pass. The glaciers are slowly receding and some estimates suggest they may be gone by mid-Century.

100_4747

Looking straight across from the road, you can see the ice and snow almost at eye level and further out is Jackson Glacier. The road is dotted with short barriers and are not very wide.

100_4757

The Montana sky is a constant backdrop for the mountains, the ice and snow, and the green in the foreground.

100_4765

A person constantly feels like they are on the top of the world here. People refer to Glacier National Park as the Crown of the Continent and closeness to the tops of the mountains is a reason. Waterfalls are often in view.

100_4784

Here, there are no real barriers at the edge of the road.

100_4793

Kathy took this picture over her shoulder. It shows the switchbacks and curves in the road.

100_4794

I enjoy the contrast provided by the grey granite and the white snow and ice. There is stability and, at the same time, instability visible in nature. The granite looks like it forms a stairway to the top of the world.

100_4811

1. You are in my homeland of Montana! Oh, while I am stuck here in Maine, thank you so much for taking me home!

2. Such a glorious rode and park. Wonderful photos. In September we are going to Canada’s Glacier National Park. Love these beautiful parks!

3. I understand why you would feel like on the top of the world! Wonderful views! The last picture is my favorite of them all, intriquing and a bit mysterious too.

4. Wow, this place just moved up near the top of my “Have to Go There SOON” list! Thanks for the beautiful photos.

5. This is awesome but would be so afraid to drive around those curves.

6. Each picture makes me long to be there..How magically beautiful – even the starkness of the granite..

7. You and Kathy take really great photos, Ivon. I’ve always believed that the camera responds to our passion for what we see, and our need to capture the spirit of it. The passion of both of you is evident in these photos. Thanks for sharing.

8. That’s one of my favourite drives. What a spectacular view! Th guys were working on the rails at the outer edge when we were there a few years ago and I was astonished at their agility and lack of fear. It was a pleasure to watch them!

9. That’s one of my favourite drives. What a spectacular view! Th guys were working on the rails at the outer edge when we were there a few years ago and I was astonished at their agility and lack of fear. It was a pleasure to watch them!

10. A person constantly feels like they are on the top of the world here.
    Yes it is appears like abode of God ( Kailasam – Abode of Lord Maha Siva – like Our Himalaya Mountains ).
    beautiful posting
    with regards

• When I was posting these images, I wondered what it was like in the Andes, the Himalayas, and the Alps where roads have been in place for generations and snake their way to the top of the world.