The Opening of Eyes

I spent a great two weeks at home. I concluded my time away with a wonderful weekend in Seattle where I attended a poetry weekend, along with about 150 others, facilitated by David Whyte. A major theme was asking beautiful questions: questions we need to ask that show stories in our lives that are possibly outdated. We open our eyes for what appears to be the first time and there is a renewal.

An important part of beautiful questions is they guide us towards new horizons. We feel grounded by home’s foundations and  drawn forward from that stable place in imaginative ways. There is something spiritual and biblical about this feeling as we find the courage in our hearts to let go in ways we had never imagined possible.

That day I saw beneath dark clouds

the passing light over the water

and I heard the voice of the world speak out,

I knew then, as I had before,

life is no passing memory of what has been

nor the remaining pages of a great book

waiting to be read.

It is the opening of eyes long closed.

It is the vision of far off things

seen for the silence they hold.

It is the heart after years

of secret conversing

speaking out loud in the clear air.

It is Moses in the desert

fallen to his knees before the lit bush.

It is the man throwing away his shoes

as if to enter heaven

and finding himself astonished,

opened at last,

fallen in love with solid ground.

1. LOOKS LIKE YOU LEARNED SOMETHING. :) Thank you for being the first “like” on my work of art, A SIMIAN SAM…! And I know the problem of flying fingers of fate (or fumbling). Was that “bok” an antelope (ie: springbok) or a “book”? :)

• It was flying fingers that got in the way of each other. I edited it to book, but perhaps bok fits to in the context of a springing and fleet springbok.

You are welcome Jonathan. I look forward to your posts, their wit, and the creativity you share.

2. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    THE BEST TEACHERS LEARN THINGS IN RETURN!!!!

3. Your biopic neglected to mention that you have the best cuz in the world…… me.
    All is forgiven.

4. What a great poem. Sounds like the inspiration permeated your cells. Happy to have read this.

5. This is beautiful! I love it when that happens and your mind is opened to such a wonderful depth. I bet this will be a new adventure for you!

6. “It is the heart after years

of secret conversing

speaking out loud in the clear air.”
    Love this! It says what I feel.
    Thank you!

7. Nice to see you back. And – glad you had a nice time away.
    Beautiful comeback – simply beautiful!

8. Beautiful and inspiring

9. Reblogged this on How my heart speaks and commented:
    Do read this

10. What a great idea to go attend a poetry weekend! And a beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing

11. Pingback: The Opening of Eyes | Returning to Camissa

12. I only recently discovered David Whyte, what a wonderful, sensitive, profound poet. I am really envious of your weekend, I am sure it was enrichening and inspiring. Thanks for this post,Ivon, for sharing some of your inspiration. I really enjoyed it!

13. Beautiful poem. Great Expression. Inspiring.

14. Questions, like keys that open doors to new possibilities.

15. Thanks for sharing. Thrilled to check back in and read your reflections from David Whyte weekend. My reflections continue as you can probably detect from time to time in my blog. All the best, Moira