A Great Need

The great Sufi poet Hafiz wrote this several centuries ago, but I think it applies today as much as ever. We find each other when we find community and common purpose which is part of human being. We find strength in difficult times and that is found in the richness of holding hands and not letting go.

Out

Of a great need

We are all holding hands

And climbing.

Not loving is a letting go.

Listen,

The terrain around here

Is

Far too

Dangerous

For

That.

1. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    WISE WISDOM…THAT!!!!!

2. Oh what a great thought!

3. Transcends time, beautiful.

4. I love Hafiz’s poems. Thank you for sharing this one with me today. I haven’t read it before, and it is just what I needed to hear.

5. Reblogged this on Returning to Camissa and commented:
    I am also a great lover of Hafiz. It is Valentine’s Day tomorrow, and although I have no lover at the moment, I have been thinking how to to celebrate for myself. I just changed the profile picture on my FB to the motto that I share with my mother, “The secret of life is the power of love”. And yes, what is love but taking your neighbour’s hand, holding fast and assisting each other in the climb.

6. That is a lovely poem. Love Hafiz.

7. Thanks for becoming a subscriber. I’m enjoying your work as well.

8. The chaos of living only for self is frightening. I pray we are still able to reach out effectively.

9. How wonderful to imagine we are all trustingly holding hands. Thank-you for this post.