A Glass of Water

When we used to go to the farm, one treat was drinking the well water. It was always cool and sweet in the truck when we hayed. It was better than champagne.

If we traveled on from the farm, we sometimes took well water. It meant we had water if we stopped for lunch or needed it in the car.

May Sarton wrote about water’s beauty. The poem reminded me how I take some things for granted and overlook their extraordinary nature. When I take time and am mindful, the sweetness is revealed.

Here is a glass of water from my well.
It tastes of rock and root and earth and rain;
It is the best I have, my only spell,
And it is cold, and better than champagne.
Perhaps someone will pass this house one day
To drink, and be restored, and go his way,
Someone in dark confusion as I was
When I drank down cold water in a glass,
Drank a transparent health to keep me sane,
After the bitter mood had gone again.

1. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    LIKE DOUGLAS, MASSACHUSETTS, WELL WATER!!! :)

2. Nothing quite like a Midwestern artesian well.

3. Lovely! Blessings, Natalie :)

4. Wow. We do have similar tastes in poets ;)
    I so miss our well water in Maine. I don’t miss winters. But I do miss that sweet, sweet water.

• When you find the right well it makes all the difference. That water would last for days in the car and remain cool and sweet. I agree about the winters. Alberta is full of snow and cold.

5. Good choice. >KB

6. Jackie Saulmon Ramirez

This is so true! After laboring in the sun, pumping water or drawing from a well, the water has a taste like no other.

7. I know the benefit of drinking good cold water. We’re fortunate that in the countryside where my wife and I live our water passes through chalk hills first but then through some of the roughest terrain around. It gives us very hard water, which is great for drinking, but it can be a bit of a pest on the laundry machinery. Lots of good wishes Ivon, and many thanks for your visits.

8. thanks for following… interesting site you have here.

9. Very good piece of work, good read.