This Is the Dream

One morning we will quietly drift into a harbor we did not know was there. Olav Haugue’s closing line is brilliant. We find the dream and its source in quietness. Without patience and a willingness to endure the difficulties which ultimately arise, the dream cannot be revealed.

I think the dream is not something we know in advance. When the dream appears, we know intuitively this is what we were waiting for and it speaks to us. The questions we carry open up the time, the heart, and the doors.

It’s the dream we carry

that something wondrous will happen

that it must happen

time will open

hearts will open

doors will open

spring will gush forth from the ground–

that the dream itself will open

that one morning we’ll quietly drift

into a harbor we didn’t know was there.

1. Brilliant, indeed! Makes me think of coming through the fog of difficulty, and when it clears, we’re gently pulling into the harbor. I also love “that it must happen”. It is good to know there are a vast number of us walking around with the inner mandate that something wondrous simply “must happen”… :)

Michael

2. Message of hope eternal.

3. And the discovery of that hidden land will be…GLORIOUS!!!!!

4. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    LYRIC MASTERY IN LIQUID FORM, IS IT NOT? :)

5. Faith, hope and trust in this poem, lovely.

6. Poetry is the one place where words can be creative instead of cognitive.

What a way with words it is.

7. Yes, when things are silent, like the breath again, it is at rest between inhales and exhales.

Buddhist say there are doors which open if you focus on the pauses, the transition points.

Try varying the length of your pauses when meditating. Observe the different feels, then let your body settle where it feels most secure.

The pauses carry some of the secrets..

Music without pauses sounds like noise.

Very thoughtful Ivon, nice

8. how delicate….and powerful all at once.

9. I agree wholeheartedly that there is both a strong point and a weak one or at least a vulnerable point. I hope it is okay to express a divergent opinion but only because I can see a a vulnerable one in this lovely poem. If the author speaks in a spiritual context then I agree that eventually there will be that ‘drift’ into something we are unable to conceive. However, if we are thinking in the physical, we will not drift into that special something, we will go into it with the sweat of our brows, aching muscles and the proverbial skin of our teeth. Thanks for listening!

• You are welcome and thank you shedding a different light on the meanings of this poem. That is the beauty of poetry. We find many meanings in the spaces between the words where meaning is made.

10. Jackie Saulmon Ramirez

People who are patient are more open to listening and hearing messages of dreams. Everyone sees a flower but it is those who look closely that see the small insects that live among the petals. That was lovely. <3

11. dreams make me happy…I am happiest when I have a dream and when I believe in that dream…however, when reality hits, it is sometimes difficult to dream again…but I love the words of the poem!