The Child in Me

What if I could just lay outside with grass as my green carpet and the sky replete with clouds as my ceiling? We leave childhood behind so easily?

I lay on green carpet shaggy–

Enrobed in leaves’ greenery;

Silent words breezily whispered–

Bluest blue ceiling revealed;

Cotton batten shapes dance–

Oh, just for me this day!

Night arrives–

The sky wrapped in ebony–

Distant neon signs wink–

Moon’s maternal smile–

Each welcomes–

Just me, this night!

A child’s heart, a child’s mind;

Paints precious images–

Hold close;

Do not let them fade–

Close eyes:

Priceless memories, just for me!

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and taught for 15 years in a wonderful hybrid school. My dissertation topic and research were how certain teachers experience becoming who teachers. In teaching and leanring, I am a boundary-crosser who understands moving ahead is a leap of faith. Teaching is a calling and vocation to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what calls me next. I am an educator, phenomenologist, scholar, boundary-crosser, published poet, author, parent, grandparent, and spouse.

1. Vicki (from Victoria A Photography)

Lovely.

2. This is good! So good.

3. I believe that those who had a beautiful childhood, and learned what needed to be learned then, can leave childhood behind and go forward. For those who suffered, it might be harder to leave it behind…

4. Lead Our Lives

Beautiful. Conjures images of brief moments long past…and now resurrected. Thank you!

5. you have a gentle heart…I have posted your blog on my Facebook page…many of my friends are teachers…i know they will love your writings! thank you also for visiting my blog!

6. “Priceless memories”. Yes, I agree.

7. I like this poem a lot, Ivon, especially since you wrote it. I’ve often thought about capturing such feelings in a poem or song but haven’t yet gotten a project to a point where I feel I’m accurately capturing the feelings well enough. I believe that you have done so with this poem. Well done.
    Russ

• Thank you Russ. I appreciate the comment. I hope you find the lyrics and music for your poem or song. I am not a musician, but am influenced by many folk singers i.e. Dylan, Seeger, Buffy St. Marie, etc. and the power of their words.

8. The choice is always there to do such things.