Surprises

It was a perfect day. We wandered in Jasper National Park, enjoyed scenery, surprises and I was with my favourite person. We found the best at the end of the day. I posted a picture of a bull elk on Yellowstone 2005 . I took that picture from 15-20 metres. Kathy took this picture of a cow elk chewing her cud. She seemed aware of our presence. We were quiet and, as others joined us in a secluded area, she posed. The wall was about 1 metre thick wall and a similar height.

Earlier in the day, we hiked for a couple of hours in the Valley of Five Lakes, exploring some of the small lakes in the valley. We were able to get close to three of the lakes and took pictures. The other two did not have paths into them and were quite deep in the bush. Here are the three lakes we got close to. Each has its own personality, so to speak.

At one of the lakes, I forget which one we came across another visitor who posed for a picture.

And, I close the day with a poem:

In the end,

Day emerged as it began–

Arriving at trail’s head.

Rediscovering mountains,

Reflecting in clear lakes,–

Sharing personalities.

Adieu to blue skies,

Threatening clouds;

Delivering promise.

Welcoming the unexpected,

Unfolding patiently–

Like the day.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and taught for 15 years in a wonderful hybrid school. My dissertation topic and research were how certain teachers experience becoming who teachers. In teaching and leanring, I am a boundary-crosser who understands moving ahead is a leap of faith. Teaching is a calling and vocation to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what calls me next. I am an educator, phenomenologist, scholar, boundary-crosser, published poet, author, parent, grandparent, and spouse.

1. Beautiful scenery!

2. Boomer EcoCrusader

Stunning pictures!

3. Thanks for the scenic tour.

4. Love this, a bright spot in an otherwise dull day! C

5. My spirit is refreshed just looking at your peaceful pictures.

6. You said you were there with your favorite person, but I don’t remember going. It’s a good thing Kathy was able to tag along anyway.
    It’s been so long since the last time I was in Jasper. I quite prefer it to Banff. The last time I was there I took a photo of an elk standing by a wall. Do you think it’s the same one? 🤔
    I didn’t like your “bug” photo, but your poem was wonderful. I love experiencing the “unexpected”. As long as I’m given plenty of advanced notice and I don’t have to wait for it. 😉
    Teasing aside. Another wonderful post. Thanks for the continuing inspiration and encouragement.
    LL

7. Although I never had the opportunity to sit in one of your classes, I suspect the reason you were/are able to help transform anyone is because you do also see teaching as a calling. May we be spared all the mediocre teachers who are doing it simply for a paycheck!
    I’m so glad you’re continuing to take the time and effort (both very valuable commodities) to share what you’ve gleaned through the years.
    Sincerely, Laura-Lee

8. Beautiful photos, beautiful day and beautiful poem, thank you for sharing.

9. Hi Ivan,
    I love hat photo of the middle lake with the large mountains behind it. Thank you for your continued offerings in words and images, Alia

10. True beauty like talent knows no bounds.

11. Wonderful sceneries.👌