Thank you Martin Luther King Jr.

If I were still in the classroom, this post would provide considerable teaching material for a unit on Dr. King. I found students are inspired by the work fo great people, including Dr. King, Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, etc. Hans-Georg Gadamer suggested we need images for our imaginations. These people and many others provide such images in times when we do not readily see them.

johncoyote

Image result for quote of martin luther king jrImage result for quote of martin luther king jrImage result for quote of martin luther king jr

Why do the good men and women die young? Martin Luther King Jr. knew his death was near. He stood his ground till his last day. The world knew. A man of peace was gone.

About Dr. King

Overview

Beyond Civil Rights

King speaks out on the Vietnam War and forms the Poor People’s Campaign, designed to prod the federal government to strengthen its antipoverty efforts.

During the less than 13 years of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s leadership of the modern American Civil Rights Movement, from December, 1955 until April 4, 1968, African Americans achieved more genuine progress toward racial equality in America than the previous 350 years had produced. Dr. King is widely regarded as America’s pre-eminent advocate of nonviolence and one of the greatest nonviolent leaders in world history.

Drawing inspiration from both his Christian faith and the peaceful teachings…

View original post 945 more words

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and taught for 15 years in a wonderful hybrid school. My dissertation topic and research were how certain teachers experience becoming who teachers. In teaching and leanring, I am a boundary-crosser who understands moving ahead is a leap of faith. Teaching is a calling and vocation to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what calls me next. I am an educator, phenomenologist, scholar, boundary-crosser, published poet, author, parent, grandparent, and spouse.

1. Great leaders die young because they are murdered so that the status quo can remain in place. The people in charge do not want things to change, so they get rid of those who can bring about that change. Pretty simple really.

2. He was truly a inspirational person ❣ ❤

3. Yes, living in the US, I’ve never lost touch with MLK’s meaning. Those days, once tattooed into memory, are never forgotten by me, at least.

4. Amazing that humans can decide to follow those whose sole purpose is their self serving nature, and the intense gullibility of the average person is astounding.

I cringe when I think of the many that have been assassinated when all they wanted to do was make a better place.

At least the USA and by extension the world has a day to remember a great man.

• Good to hear from you George. I agree that remembering aperson and their legacy is essential to the rest of us moving forward. We often confuse self-interest with everyone’s interest. It is the flaw of capitalism, which is grounded in moral philosophy. Our self-interest should be to leave the world “indefinably better” in the words of Wendell Berry and Aristotle.

5. Pingback: Thank you Martin Luther King Jr. | By the Mighty Mumford

6. A prominent figure in American history. However, the less people know about his personal life the better as per his legacy.

7. thanks for sharing this, ivan 🙂

8. a great man who knowingly stood on the shoulders of giants including Gandhi, Christ, Buddha. A flash of light and inspiration, to be sure.

9. He was shot on my birthday and so I often think of him.The tragedies of the sixties