The Spring Paradox

I am in Spokane now,  reading, writing, and preparing for two presentations at the end of the month. It is unseasonable here, but it is at home, too. Rain and snow go with the low temperatures.

I wrote this about the paradox we experience in spring. It is a time of rejuvenation and resurrection, literally and figuratively, yet it is not always easy to see, unless I watch closely. Each day, as I walk, I see signs that contradict each other: sullen skies, a glacial wind, flowers showing, and robins gathered to feed.

Leaden, sullen rain-heavy skies,

The wind glacial;

Absent a lover’s warm touch,

With precision, it cuts through cloth,

Touches skin with icy fingers.

Have faith the calendar counsels

Nature speaks in other ways;

Daffodils reach through the earth,

Robins find food washed up on the sidewalk,

I hear spring is here.

I took this picture of the first robin I saw last spring. There was still snow. The robin posed for me, more interested in finding food than fearing me.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and taught for 15 years in a wonderful hybrid school. My dissertation topic and research were how certain teachers experience becoming who teachers. In teaching and leanring, I am a boundary-crosser who understands moving ahead is a leap of faith. Teaching is a calling and vocation to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what calls me next. I am an educator, phenomenologist, scholar, boundary-crosser, published poet, author, parent, grandparent, and spouse.

1. this is so informative, well detailed and deserved post!!

2. A lovely rendering of this year’s rumour. Good luck with the presentations Ivon 💛

3. Very nice. Good luck with your presentations

4. Beautiful robin. Lovely poem.

5. Ah! Spring! It gives me energy just thinking it is near. It’s my favorite season as the world comes to life again in so many ways.

6. This was beautiful, Ivon..Spring is a tug of war. Tomorrow is supposed to be warm and sunny before the rains come back. I will be giddy working in the yard.

7. We here in Australia, Ivon, are experiencing the reverse of the northern hemisphere. We patiently, or not so patiently wait for Autumn to make its appearance. Our evenings are becoming somewhat cooler, however, the days, though shorter, are still full of heat.
    I really enjoyed your contradictory poem; it made perfect sense!
    May your end of month presentations fair well.

• Thank you Carolyn. That makes sense. We were in Arizona in January and it was warm during the days and cool at night. It was not as warm as it will be in a month or two, but still as you move closer to the equator things change.

8. Lovely poem, Ivon. We can but flow with nature, to heck with calendars these days. Believe it or not, it’s the same in Hawaii(!)

9. That’s spring… a wavering in approach of summer… often opposite signs; but we know in which direction we’re going.

10. Wonderful, Ivon! Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts!
    Be happy! You are where the civilisation is. 😉 What should i say about my home, here at the end of the world? LOL
    Have a good weekend ahead. Michael

11. An apt and poignant portrait beautifully penned, Ivon. 🙂 Here in Maine, we’re still waiting too…

12. expressed with the elegance
    of seasons 🙂

13. Loved the poem, Ivon. I still remember those spring times long ago when snow fell in April and even in May, but the new life is persistent and spring eventually arrives.

14. I very much enjoyed this one, Ivon. Also, it seems you and I are neighbors (more-or-less) – I’m hanging around University of Idaho these days. Looking forward to reading more.

15. I’m happy to have found your beautiful blog. Thank you for the photo of last year’s Robin.

16. Nice work Ivon. As someone who spends entirely too much time indoors looking at ice, it would be nice to get a reprieve when I walk outside. I appreciate the poem and the sentiment that eventually…………….spring will appear.

17. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    INDEED A PARADOX—‘SPECIALLY IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS! GREAT TO SEE MORE POSTS, SIR! 🙂

18. Beautifully written and inspiring!
    This poem really speaks to the signs of Spring that revitalize us.
    Love your words