Thanksgiving

Today is Canadian Thanksgiving. We celebrated yesterday with two sons and a partner due to work schedules. We will celebrate again for American Thanksgiving. This is in part due to my time in the US completing my PhD and we have extended family who are from the US.

The idea of two Thanksgivings led me to reflect. What am I grateful for each day? I am thankful for family, friends, good neighbours, good health, a house that will feel like home as it is built on our original property, and many other people and things.

What if we thought of each day as a day to give thanks, a thanksgiving?

I wrote this poem called Thanksgiving several years ago.

Gratitude and thankfulness

Share each sacred moment–

Turn to beloved others,

Hold tight,

Acknowledge worth,

(Extra)ordinary emerges from ordinary

Moment by moment–

The taken-for-granted

Reveals itself.

Sharing bounty,

Feeling blessed,

Expressing gratitude,

Saying daily prayers of thankfulness.

I took this in Jasper National Park with the Athabasca Falls behind Kathy.

The video above is by Mary Chapin Carpenter. I have several of her CD’s. Enjoy and be thankful.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and taught for 15 years in a wonderful hybrid school. My dissertation topic and research were how certain teachers experience becoming who teachers. In teaching and leanring, I am a boundary-crosser who understands moving ahead is a leap of faith. Teaching is a calling and vocation to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what calls me next. I am an educator, phenomenologist, scholar, boundary-crosser, published poet, author, parent, grandparent, and spouse.

1. Beautiful poem! Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

2. Happy thanksgiving.❤️

3. So beautiful🧡Happy Thanksgiving❤️🌷

4. Happy Thanksgiving…and Grateful Day – I’m a MCC fan, but this share had missed coming onto my radar – thanks for sharing!

• You are welcome and thank you. I have listened to MCC for years and this was a new one for me, as well. For that I am thankful.

• My first introduction to her was the album that had “He thinks he’ll keep her” which came out shortly after I was walking through a divorce – sigh – rather took off, me being a fan, given that first intro that said what I needed to hear and also felt fairly true for me, at the time – :D. For each stage and phase of life, there music for it, eh? 🙂

• I find a lot of her songs speak to life’s vagaries. The one you mention speaks to how males sometimes see the women in their lives as accessories, rather than humans of equal standing.

5. You are right that we need to be thankful each day for the blessings in our life. Everyone needs to look for those small things that brighten their day – a smile, a flower, a favorite book. Be thankful for everything that makes you feel good inside.

6. How time flies : ! Happy Thanksgiving ! 🙂

7. Gratitude is everything. We are ever mindful of how blessed we are. 🙏

8. Beautiful poem and post, Ivon. Wishing you and yours A Happy Thanksgiving!