I Think Continually of Those Who Were Truly Great

It is the end of a long and busy day. I chose this poem as it explored the need to remember who we are and what we belong to, that which went before us. Stephen Spender suggested it is remembering soul’s history and listen for it in the world.

I think continually of those who were truly great.

Who, from the womb, remembered the soul’s history

Through corridors of light where the hours are suns

Endless and singing. Whose lovely ambition

Was that their lips, still touched with fire,

Should tell of the Spirit clothed from head to foot in song.

And those who hoarded from the Spring branches

The desires falling across their bodies like blossoms.

What is precious is never to forget

The essential delight of the blood drawn from ageless springs

Breaking through rocks in the worlds before our earth.

Never to deny its pleasure in the morning simple light

Nor its grave evening demand for love.

Never to allow gradually the traffic to smother

With noise and fog the flowering of the spirit.

Near the snow, near the sun, in the highest fields

See how these names are listed by the waving grass

And by the streamers of white cloud

And whispers of wind in the listening sky.

The names of those who in their lives fought for life

Who wore at their hearts the fire’s center.

Born of the sun they traveled a short while towards the sun,

And left the vivid air signified with their honor.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and spent the last 14 years teaching in an incrediable hybrid school setting. My dissertation topic and research were how teachers experience becoming who teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. Beautiful. It echoes through the ages the names of spirits whose light, courage, wisdom, kindness, and warmth shined brightest of all.

2. This is beautiful and so true! Thank you for sharing….. Peace, love, light and blessings “White Eagle” http://www.soulwritings.ca

3. Hi, thanks so much for liking my post “Homemade Takeout? Hamburgers, Cheeseburgers…” and for following my blog at” http://lovelyseasonscomeandgo.wordpress.com. Your blog is awesome and so I will follow you too. Once again may you have a wonderful day. Betty

4. Ivon, I lost your email. I nominated you for a blog award and must send you questions. Thanks, ileneonwords@gmail.com

5. I am awarding you the Blog of the Year Award 2013 as an expression of my gratitude for following “The Journal of Wall Grimm” blog. You can see the post here: http://wp.me/p41c99-hx If you don’t accept awards, that’s no problem at all. Awarding you is my way to thank you and it is of no insult to me if you decline.

6. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing

7. Beautiful thoughts! You write so well. Thanks and cheers 🙂

8. Many of us have ideas but few can express them so eloquently.

9. Jackie Saulmon Ramirez

That was beautiful, thank you. ❤

10. The last four verses are so strong ! Great work my friend,most powerful words and ideas ; your choice was absolutely brilliant ! Doda 🙂