Personal Legend: Life Lessons from Dancing

Personal Legend: Life Lessons from Dancing.

The link  begins with a quote from Paulo Coehlo about finding meaning in life. It becomes our personal legend when we find those things that add to our lives. We are remembered for dancing, teaching, singing, etc; whatever brings us and others joy.

The linked article ends with a poem from Joseph Campbell. He began the poem with “follow your bliss.” When we do, we find our voice and speak through our lives.

Parker Palmer and Thomas Merton pointed out voice and vocation are linked in etymology. They come from a place deep within us. We don’t even have to chase it. We only have to sit, be still, be quiet and our voice finds us. When it finds us, we dance as our voice accompanies us finding what brings meaning and joy in our lives and the lives of those we dance with.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and taught for 15 years in a wonderful hybrid school. My dissertation topic and research were how certain teachers experience becoming who teachers. In teaching and leanring, I am a boundary-crosser who understands moving ahead is a leap of faith. Teaching is a calling and vocation to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what calls me next. I am an educator, phenomenologist, scholar, boundary-crosser, published poet, author, parent, grandparent, and spouse.

1. “…When [our voice] finds us, we dance as our voice accompanies us finding what brings meaning and joy in our lives and the lives of those we dance with.”–how lovely, Ivon! Thank you for your continuing inspiration. I am deeply grateful for your support. Shine on, my friend.

2. The “nobody’s gonna pay me to do this” excuse is what my wife calls “holding your gifts for ransom!”

3. Beautiful and yet we chase . . . all about existing in the present moment. Thanks for the reminder! 🙂

4. These reads like a poem and is always a good reminder.

5. I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read on your blog here so far. I love the idea that, “We only have to sit, be still, be quiet and our voice finds us.” I just finished reading Parker Palmer’s “Let Your Life Speak” and it is such an inspiration. There is great peace in listening and pursuing this inner voice, but it is also an upstream struggle at times. I reflected a bit on this in my own post this week here: http://quietpilgrim.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/vocation-10000-hours-and-being-uncomfortable/

• Thank you for stopping, following, and commenting. Parker Palmer’s thinking has influenced me deeply leading to the writing of Thomas Merton, Wendell Berry, Mary Oliver and many others.

6. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    I USED TO FIND GREAT THERAPY IN FOLK DANCING! NOW MY LEGS CAN;T MOVE LIKE THATANYMORE! 😀