It is an issue of private shame

It is an issue of private shame.

The link is not to a poem, but rather to a series of quotes about hunger and the personal shame that comes with it. Politicians use hunger and other social justice issues as talking points and not seeing it as a matter of private and public shame in countries such as Canada and the US with their wealth.

On the left, we have politicians who would subscribe to giving people something. On the right, politicians would blame those who go hungry including the children. Giving people a hand up is important and walking with them is a part of the longer journey. Solving issues such as hunger is community work. It takes neighbours helping each other in those moments of need. Regardless of what we have, we share. Wouldn’t that be a powerful learning in our schools.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and spent the last 14 years teaching in an incrediable hybrid school setting. My dissertation topic and research were how teachers experience becoming who teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. Wouldn’t it be nice if people cared as much about children living in poverty and violence as we do bout dogs and cats? If we worried about the homeless and mentally ill? Hugs, Barbara

2. Yea 🙂 it will be nice if people care much about the children living in poetry and violence and even the orphans, widows and the elderly.

3. That would be powerful, indeed. 🙂

4. I only vote for those who say that they’ll help the poor. If you’re a politician and happen to be reading this, now you know how to get my vote.

5. Hello! I am happy to have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. Please pick your award up at http://idealisticrebel.com/2014/11/04/versatile-blogger-award-8/

6. I have worked with homeless and hungry. It is truly awful that so many feel it is “their fault” of “they are lazy.” At today’s minimum wage, families cannot afford enough food and sometimes cannot afford housing. That is not their fault nor are they lazy.

7. Wow, yes that would be powerful indeed. I am glad to have found your quality blog here.

8. the question is why will we listen to them? who are they to turn us into monsters? It is my money I will feed whoever I want!