Think of Others

Mahmoud Darwish wrote this poem in a way that stands out for me. He bracketed every second line as a gentle reminder to remember those who have less than us.

Canadians and Americans celebrate Thanksgiving at different times, but part of the celebrating is thinking about the good fortune we have and how others may be missing what we call good fortune.

Perhaps, the measure is not material. Perhaps, the measure is in those people and things that are immeasurable.

As you prepare your breakfast, think of others
(do not forget the pigeon’s food).
As you wage your wars, think of others
(do not forget those who seek peace).
As you pay your water bill, think of others
(those who are nursed by clouds).
As you return home, to your home, think of others
(do not forget the people of the camps).
As you sleep and count the stars, think of others
(those who have nowhere to sleep).
As you express yourself in metaphor, think of others
(those who have lost the right to speak).
As you think of others far away, think of yourself
(say: If only I were a candle in the dark).

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and spent the last 14 years teaching in an incrediable hybrid school setting. My dissertation topic and research were how teachers experience becoming who teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. A Great Inspiring one. Thanks for sharing.

2. A Great Inspiring poem. Thanks for sharing.

3. Very nice. The one that concerns me the most is (the ones who have lost the rights to speak) because I think so many would gladly move us into a place where some people didn’t enjoy that right. Honestly, I don’t think we understand what that freedom is or means.

• I agree. I did not realize it until someone close to us declined into Alzheimer’s. There is still a voice in there. It is not always easy to get it out and I found creating a space for it was important.

4. A wonderful poem to remind us at Thanksgiving, and any other time too. Thanks for sharing.

5. Reblogged this on The BUTHIDARS and commented:
    The message that should be on all minds, not just those celebrating Thanksgiving.
    For my friends across the pond who are celebrating, I wish you all a Wonderful time.

6. What a beautiful poem yes so true we need to keep in our mind those lesser than us

7. A lovely poem! Thank you for sharing this..

8. Inspiring words that we should all recite to ourselves every day. Thank you so much for following First Night Design.

9. Compassion and gratitude, we Americans get really concerned around Thanksgiving, hunger seems to be an everyday thing though

Being aware of the plight of others is the first step.

10. “If only I were a candle in the dark”. I feel like that a lot.

11. Thank you so much for very nice poem. ; )

12. This is just what I needed today teaching at my school (check us out at http://thelighthousechristianacademy.com). We are a small Christian school in Santa Monica. I find your blog to be inspiring!