More than a tree

More than a tree.

When we look at a tree, is it just a tree? Or, is there more to that tree? It is likely the home to birds and other animals. Perhaps, rather than a home, it is a resting place during the day or seasons that pass. It is a place of shelter provides food, offers shade, and many other things that are overlooked in our daily passing of the tree. What story does it tell? We only know when we stop, close our eyes, and listen to the tree.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and spent the last 14 years teaching in an incrediable hybrid school setting. My dissertation topic and research were how teachers experience becoming who teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. I love trees, they keep secrets πŸ™‚
    I wrote a short dialogue called “a tree finally speaks”. Trees can give us inspiration if we know how to listen. Thanks for sharing this. Have a great day/night to you πŸ™‚

2. This one brings up a funny memory. I was once at a talk being given by a Huichol elder, and someone asked a question about extraterrestrial beings. He responded by suggesting we have yet to figure out what a tree is, so we should probably keep it simple yet, and start with that… πŸ™‚

Michael

3. branches
    mirroring
    neurons

4. I did my Master’s in Forest Conservation later in life (as the expression goes). Trees are Mother Nature’s best architecture, thank you for bringing trees more to us, if only we could be more better to them. Peace, Harlon

5. Thank you for linking to my post, I also like listening to trees πŸ™‚

6. Many years ago, I listened to a multi-evoctation tape on natural self confidence. It was a metaphor about a tree and humans.

Trees have roots and limbs and a tree breathes like humans. we have arms and legs to anchor us. A tree has a skin called bark and a crown like humans. Trees have names like Acacia’ Ash, Aspen, Banyan, Beech, Birch, Cedar, Elm, Forrest, Hazel etc

Trees have a life span and age like humans. Many more correlations that escape this old brain right now.

7. If you have visited my site you will know that I have an afinity for trees, both for themselves and as metaphores. They, like us, may live their lives in forests or alone. They may live short nonproductive lives or they may grow into maturity that produces something of value that will be useful long after they are gone.

• Even in that short life, they offer something of value. We were in Arizona recently and there was a rainy day. We noticed how that little rain changed the green of the landscape. Trees are so adaptable.

I do visit and will pay more attention to your content. I have been remiss.

8. Reblogged this on Karinconway's Blog and commented:
    I’m working on creating an orchard of fruit-bearing trees in my community. I have to remember to stop and listen to the trees so this project succeeds. Thanks for the reminder!
    πŸ™‚ KMC

9. Trees are like thee magic of the earth, as is the sea. so much within, so little do we discover as we walk on by …

10. They have other stories, too. Stories of escaping logging, fires, floods. I have a little land and there’s a very old tree on it that escaped logging. A flood ripped out half her roots and lay her on her side. She’s lived that way for who knows how long, but likely at least fifty or so years. The stories she could tell!