Prayer for a Field Mouse

Pat Riviere-Seel’s poem has a Mary Oliver feel where she honours a small animal that we might even notice in our daily walks. It is a blessing and prayer to have all that Nature offers us.

We soak in the world and find extraordinary in the ordinary.

Bless the gray mouse

that found her way
into the recycle bin.
Bless her tiny body,
no bigger than my thumb,
huddled and numb
against the hard side.
Bless her bright eye,
a frightened gleaming
that opened to me
and the nest she made
from shredded paper,
all I could offer.
Bless her last hours
alone under the lamp
with food and water near.
Bless this brief life
I might have ended
had she stayed hidden
inside the insulation.
Bless her body returned
to earth, no more
or less than any creature.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and spent the last 14 years teaching in an incrediable hybrid school setting. My dissertation topic and research were how teachers experience becoming who teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. imagining
    a content
    mouse ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Unfortunately I don’t share the sentiment haha – especially when they visit the house!

3. I have to say I liked this poem a lot more before mice moved into my house this winter!

4. Thank you for posting something enriching and nourishing for the mind … that’s neither overtly (reliantly) religious, or an outright angry rant. It’s a mindfield, I’ve found, finding such a blog to begin to find some inspiration from – and yours is one. Please continue. Life is fragile – life is small; we fancy ourselves important … we’ll go back to the same gutter the mouse did, though. And he was probably more humble than I was. All life has value … even human.

5. Even the least of our creatures deserve a poem or prayer. Such a sweet poem to share with us.

6. Jackie Saulmon Ramirez

That’s heartbreaking but beautifully rendered. I’m sorry for the mouse that reminds me of a family of mice I found living in my father’s waist-high waders. They were tucked down to the toe – all 6 or 7 of them. Once discovered, Daddy said they had to go. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

7. It’s our duty as the smartest (?) creatures to care for the smallest, abused or helpless.

8. This poem is very touching! I am happy the little mouse had a nest and food in the end.

9. That’s a very thoughtful gentle poem. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s so easy to become afraid of these little wild things especially when they find a way into the roof! My brother had a terrible rat problem in his roof recently, made worse by the local council who poisoned the city rats on mass (not wise at all.) One died through the poisoning in his roof space. He has a very low flat roof, so the smell was terribly sickening!! A hole was cut into the ceiling and the poor dead rat was discovered lying in a little straw bed it had made itself tucked very neatly behind a drainpipe. He was glad to get the problem sorted, but kind of felt a little sympathy for the poor creature. They have to live, just as we do. I think this poem sums that feeling up very well. Very timely for me Ivon! ๐Ÿ™‚

10. As nice as the poem is – I’d rather mice stay away from me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

11. OK, alright, Ivan. But I would rather bless the field mouse in the field. Not inside my house. gee wiz – now I feel guilty for saying that….

12. Very touching… moved me to tears. Lovely poem. Thank you for sharing!

13. lessons
    of
    reverence
    ~
    everywhere

14. Very Nice poem. Thoughtful.