I Have Realities in My Past

via I Have Realities In My Past

One of the first classes I took in my doctoral journey introduced me to Viktor Frankl‘s work and finding meaning in one’s life, which is the primary reason we live.

In his post, Kevin shares a quote from “Man’s Search for Meaning.” We search for and discover meaning in ways unique to each of us. That search/quest is not someone else’s, even though there may be shared characteristics.

Frankl survived the horrors of Auschwitz believing his wife was alive, often hearing her speak to him. As it turned out, she died during her internment, but it was her daemon nature that gave him reasons to live and press on. Many of us would say our spouse/partner gives us reasons to live and that would be true, but it is in different ways than Frankl and others.

Differences make a difference.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and taught for 15 years in a wonderful hybrid school. My dissertation topic and research were how certain teachers experience becoming who teachers. In teaching and leanring, I am a boundary-crosser who understands moving ahead is a leap of faith. Teaching is a calling and vocation to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what calls me next. I am an educator, phenomenologist, scholar, boundary-crosser, published poet, author, parent, grandparent, and spouse.

1. Frankl says there is quality, purpose in life by enduring our challenges. He also said they did not deny or look the other way at the atrocities in their midst.

People like Frankl, Mandela, Lincoln had harsh lives but accomplished some of the greatest feats we have witnessed.

2. Wonderful man and terrific philosophy. One of the important minds and hearts in my personal evolution.

3. Thank you Ivon! We need such inspiring persons. Michael

4. George Bachul

I have not studied Frankl, but philosophically, to live his life to help each find meaning in theirs is a very selfless thing to do. Inspiring.

5. Hi Ivon,
    Thanks for the mention! I’m glad the quote brought back memories for you.
    Kevin

6. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    TRUE, INDEED!

7. Far too few even heard of Frankl and all would benefit from exposure to his philosophy.

• I agree. I was fortunate to be introduced to his writing while completing my PhD and expanded my library to include several books. I wonder if he gets lost in the more outrageous views of someone like Freud?

8. I return to Frankl’s work again and again.

9. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented: