A Simpler Life

Kathy and I are doing some house cleaning and it is interesting what we find.

Kathy looked through some papers we had stored and found poetry I wrote in 1969, in Grade 10. There are things that are consistent in life and one of them is seeking moments of solitude and silence, which I wrote about in this poem. I took liberties and edited the poem, orginally called The Simple Life.

It is good to be alone at times,

Sheltered by comforting trees,

The wind singing a song,

Here, I experience freedom and peace,

For the moment, worries set aside.

Minnows dart at the water’s edge,

Dancing between light and shadows,

Seemingly, without a care,

There, they experience home’s safety;

Its primal call.

Here, this is me,

I experience a simpler life;

An unseen hand beckons me,

I wave to this simpler life,

Enjoying it each time I return.

I took this picture in Waterton Lake National Park several years ago. I came around a corner and there was a doe and two fawn. I could have touched the one fawn it was so close, but it was separated from its mother. I stood as still as possible, moving slowly to get the camera ready. The mother whistled to the one fawn and waited until the young one found its way over to her, back to the safety of where it belonged.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and taught for 15 years in a wonderful hybrid school. My dissertation topic and research were how certain teachers experience becoming who teachers. In teaching and leanring, I am a boundary-crosser who understands moving ahead is a leap of faith. Teaching is a calling and vocation to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what calls me next. I am an educator, phenomenologist, scholar, boundary-crosser, published poet, author, parent, grandparent, and spouse.

1. Guess you were in touch with your feelings at an early age and have continued that same line of thought throughout life. Not many can say that.

2. Great capture – they are beautiful animals.

3. those deer are great
    teachers of simplicity 🙂

4. I thoroughly enjoyed that, Ivon.

5. Simpler life. Moved from Miami to Greensboro, NC 3 1/2 years ago. This morning got some cash out of ATM and topped off the gas tank. Mailman hasn’t come yet today. Yankee game at 7:10 tonight. That will be about it for today.

• I think we have a similar life Carl. I have a routine each day that allows me to just be more easily. Sometimes, it is location that makes a difference. For me, it is age and location. I used to find my first days in Spokane each summer, working on my PhD, I scurried around like I would in school. Once I noticed this, I made a point of slowing down regardless of where I was. I discovered that I was not getting anymore done rushing.

6. This poem is wonderful! It is amazing what we can find by just digging a little 🙂

7. You must have been so surprised!

8. Even at an early age, you knew what freedom meant being closer to nature!

9. Very Impressive, sir.

10. A lovely share.

It’s a wonderful thing to look back at your adolescent poetry. I kept a folder of mine and every 6-7 years, I take a walk through it. Better than any keepsake for documenting where you’ve been and who.

11. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE BETTER THAN A DEER FAMILY IN YOUR BACK YARD!