The Simple Life

I began looking through some poetry I have written over the years and the first one I came across was this one called The Simple Life. I am going through the poetry, as I think with the time provided, I might look to put them into a coherent form and publish a book of poetry. I promised myself I would do this and have been given the time to work on project.

I enjoy solitude. For me, it is time to recharge batteries. Even on holidays, I spend time with Kathy and not many others. We visit family and friends, and hike. On the trail, we meet people to see plants and animals of the area.

It is good to be alone at times,

Sheltered by comforting trees,

The wind singing its song,

Here, I experience freedom and peace,

For the moment, worries set aside.

Minnows dart at the water’s edge,

Dancing between light and shadows,

Seemingly, without a care,

There, they experience home’s safety;

Its primal call.

Here, this is me,

I exist within a simple space;

An unseen hand beckons me,

I wave to this life,

Enjoying it each time I return;

Nature’s beauty gradually revealed.

I wrote the poem after spending the day hiking in Waterton Lake National. The one reference is to standing by the lake and watching minnows dart in and out of the sun and shadows. In Arizona, we hiked in an area of Buckeye called Skyline Regional Park.

I took the pictures below over five or six days as the cactus blossomed. As a result, we walked the same path with some variations over that time. We got to see nature’s beauty gradually being revealed.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and taught for 15 years in a wonderful hybrid school. My dissertation topic and research were how certain teachers experience becoming who teachers. In teaching and leanring, I am a boundary-crosser who understands moving ahead is a leap of faith. Teaching is a calling and vocation to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what calls me next. I am an educator, phenomenologist, scholar, boundary-crosser, published poet, author, parent, grandparent, and spouse.

1. An old poem, that is even. more meaningful now, with everything that is going on.
    Hope you are well. Have a good weekend.

Be safe.

2. Yes, you should publish that collection. I have categorised and published mine, even if no one ever looks at it, it is one goal I have accomplished for my own satisfaction 😊

3. Lovely poem, Ivon. A beautiful capture of your experience in nature. I’m hoping many more will find their way back to nature in these times. It is essential to our collective healing, I feel. Be well.

4. Some of the most simplest things are the best. Peace and quiet heal. Stay safe 👍

5. Alone time is very important to me as long as I have the freedom to spend part of it in nature. Don’t fence me in! This is the perfect time for you to get your poetry collection together for publication. I’m working in a little time on a Civil War Diary that I’m putting together. It’s good we have things to occupy our mind…some don’t.

6. nutsfortreasure

I love the solitude as well enjoy and be well.

7. Perfect poem for these days. I live further south than the Phoenix area but at an elevation of about 4600’ so our cactus blooming is just beginning.

• Thank you Emilie. What was interesting, at least to me, was they were blooming and othes were without rain. It reminded me of the Easter Cactus my mother and mother-in-law had.

8. That this concludes with cacti makes me smile. The only time my boys and I leave the house recently is to walk the dog. Recently, on such a walk, I looked at a weed-overtaken yard and asked, “Is that a cactus?!” My boys confirmed it was and I was, for whatever reasons, so very heartened. 🙂

9. That park certainly gave you inspiration, even the cactus have a little flower. Great read as always.
    How you manage to keep all your writing for years is beyond me, I certainly have to be more careful and put on the work at classifying my “poems” and keep them safe in someplace.

10. yES, IT IS GOOD TO COME ASIDE FOR A WHILE…!

11. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    LIKE CACTI, WE GAIN FRUIT BY BEING ALONE FOR A WHILE!