Those Images

Kathy went shopping and bought a book. It sounds mundane, but, when she opened the book, she found a small piece of paper with this Yeats‘ poem written on it. We are headed home tomorrow. We will take a few days, travel into Montana, across Glacier National Park, and head north. We will see some of the wild on that trip. I doubt lions will appear but a mountain lion might show up and maybe an eagle on the wing. Certainly, we find better exercise in sunlight and wind.

On the back or it might be the front of the slip, someone wrote the Gandhi quote: “Be the change you wish to see in the world and PEACE”.

What if I bade you leave

The cavern of the mind?

There’s better exercise

In the sunlight and wind.

I never bade you go

To Moscow or Rome.

Renounce that drudgery,

Call the Muses home.

Seek those images

That constitute the wild.

The lion and the virgin,

The harlot and the child.

Find in middle air

An eagle on the wing.

Recognize the five

That make the Muses sing.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and taught for 15 years in a wonderful hybrid school. My dissertation topic and research were how certain teachers experience becoming who teachers. In teaching and leanring, I am a boundary-crosser who understands moving ahead is a leap of faith. Teaching is a calling and vocation to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what calls me next. I am an educator, phenomenologist, scholar, boundary-crosser, published poet, author, parent, grandparent, and spouse.

1. So nice, quoting Yeats’ and Gandhi, too. I like the poem a lot! I also feel this was a message meant for you both. I liked the way you incorporated the words into your plans, too.

2. Beautiful – clearly the book was meant to come home with Kathy.

3. Wow – what a nice find! I’m glad you shared it with us.

Nancy

4. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    FINDING YEATS WITH A GHANDI QUOTE? GOOD STUFF

5. that was a rare find indeed. lovely poem too.

6. Lovely lovely poem!
    (And Gandhi is always my weak spot)

7. Great poem. Instead of a message in a bottle, she found a message in a book!

8. Pingback: How to realize Real Freedom, Real PEACE, Real Love | sachemspeaks

9. WordsFallFromMyEyes

I love this, and LOVE finding a slip of paper in a book. I once wrote in a book, ‘Hi, from Noeleen Ginnane – author in the making’. Crazy, huh.

That Ghandi quote is unbeatable.

10. Namaste ~ Thank you for visiting and following my blog 🙂 yours looks lovely ~ Lakshmi x

11. What a wonderful surprise. If you are a believer, which I think you are then the message from the poem will not only make you smile but have you searching for those 5 things.

• I should always be searching for what makes life more worthwhile. It was a beautiful surprise. Afterwards, Kathy found a couple of more things tucked in the book from the previous reader.

12. Methinks Kathy has a gift … more than the poem and quote … I suspect you know it, too. —
    Bear

13. Ah, how lovely–the many inspirations and the post that you created from them. Thank you.