I Go Among Trees

I begin with an apology to followers. The email feed of those who I follow has not worked the last two days. This is the second this has happened in the last couple of months. I am not sure what has caused the malfunction at the junction, but I will look into it this weekend after my classes wrap up for the week.

Wendell Berry wrote this poem about taking time and waiting for the right time to do the work. It has been busy and I will have time with a three-week break from classes to sit among the trees hopefully literally and figuratively

I go among the trees and sit still

All my stirring becomes quiet

around me like circles on water.

My tasks lie in their places

Where I left them, asleep like cattle…

Then what is afraid of me comes

and lives a while in my sight.

What it fears in me leaves me,

and the fear of me leaves it.

It sings, and I hear its song.

Then what I am afraid of comes.

I live for a while in its sight.

What I fear in it leaves it,

And the fear of it leaves me.

It sings, and I hear its song.

After days of labor,

mute in my consternations,

I hear my song at last,

and I sing it. As we sing,

the day turns, the trees move.

In keeping with bell hooks and Noam Chomsky, I consider myself a public and dissident intellectual. Part of my work is to move beyond (transcend) institutional dogmas that bind me to defend freedom, raising my voice to be heard on behalf of those who seek equity and justice in all their forms. I completed my PhD in Philosophy of Leadership Studies at Gonzaga University, Spokane, WA. My dissertation and research was how teachers experience becoming teachers and their role as leaders. I focus on leading, communicating, and innovating in organizations. This includes mindfuful servant-leadership, World Cafe events, Appreciative Inquiry, and expressing one's self through creativity. I offer retreats, workshops, and presentations that can be tailored to your organzations specific needs. I published peer reviewed articles about schools as learning organizations, currere as an ethical pursuit, and hope as an essential element of adult eductaion. I published three poems and am currently preparing my poetry to publish as an anthology of poetry. I present on mindful leadership, servant leadership, schools as learning organizations, how teachers experience becoming teachers, assessement, and critical thinking. I facilitate mindfulness, hospitality retreats. and World Cafe Events using Appreciative Inquiry. I am writing and researching about various forms of leadership, how teachers inform and form their identity as a particular teacher, schools as learning organizations, hope and its anticipatory relationship with the future, and hope as an essential element in learning.

1. Lovely. You are the second person I know that is having this problem.

2. I too wrote about trees today..

3. I love trees. Hugging them, talking to them and enjoying their energy. Hugs,
    Barbara

4. Catherine Johnson

I love trees! Super poem.

5. AirportsMadeSimple

When you started your column with an apology, I realized I owe you one. I do read your posts, but I don’t think I’ve ever commented! I would sit and write all day long and read if I could.

As for trees? I consider them friends. Each one has a unique characteristic and perspective from their windows. Cheers, D

• I know there are many people out there who follow and do not comment. I am good with that. I see there likes and that is my reward. I agree that each tree has its own character. Thank you for stopping and commenting. It is appreciated.

6. Beautiful poem. Enjoying sitting among trees and it gives relaxing.

7. MisBehaved Woman

I’ve also had issues of not getting blog notices…frustrating but good to know it’s not just me.

Lovely poem ♥ …makes me want to run away and sit in the mountains for awhile just to listen to the stories they whisper.

Here’s a great tree-tribute –

8. Wonderful. Wishing you a lovely time to sit, digest, dream… p.s. I am having many problems with my site, and see now that you are not on my list to follow :(…so am adding again.

9. Immersing oneself in nature puts philosophy to shame. Just seeing and being is sufficient. The rest is just window dressing.

10. Pingback: I Go Among Trees | YALA NIHKEE AARABEE fi Dubai