Shepherd

I have a three-week break and will head home for a couple of weeks on Monday, so will be offline for a couple of days. It is a longer sabbath than normal, but it will be a long day on Monday. The wanderer is going from thought country and will find his way home as William Stafford suggested in this poem. We are each shepherded home in some fashion, at some time.

According to the silence, winter has arrived—

a special kind of winter. I, its inventor,

watch it freeze in calendars and stare

out of clocks. I do not feel its cold.

Across a certain farm evening crows go flying,

intervals of the sky that I have seen before,

the bearing of a river. I advance, a wanderer

out of thought country, that serious quiet place,

Till according to the silence all the light is gone

and according to the dark all wanderers are home.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and spent the last 14 years teaching in an incrediable hybrid school setting. My dissertation topic and research were how teachers experience becoming who teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. Have a blessed Sabbath.

2. Very nice poem, I really liked it, thank you for posting it.

ted

3. “across a certain farm evening, crows go flying” I cannot tell you the feeling of “fresh” that evoked. I can see it, smell it, feel it. Its that moment that you seem to be able to just inhale God’s peace. Blessings and love!

Michelle

4. Nice piece of writing thank you for posting it.

ted

5. I wish you an insightful journey away from your blog.

6. hey thanks for visiting my blog.
    Currently I’m raising funds for a possible travelogue and maybe you could help me out?
    Mind reblogging the post of mine to reach more audience, or even dropping in a penny or two?
    I would be extremely grateful.
    P.S. Here’s the link http://www.gofundme.com/4yfowk

7. WordsFallFromMyEyes

Enjoy your time, repair 🙂

8. AnElephant is no expert on American poets and is not familiar with Mr Stafford’s work.
    He thinks this is just wonderful, and will seek him out further.
    Thank you.

9. Jackie Saulmon Ramirez

I never thought about it but winter is silent in many ways. The quietest member of winter would be a snowflake, I think. Thank you for sharing this at exactly the right time.