Day of the Imprisoned Writer: a letter to Mahvash Sabet

Day of the Imprisoned Writer: a letter to Mahvash Sabet.

We have many people around the world who are imprisoned for their political and religious beliefs. Usually, I find when we put a face on those that are somehow different they become real and human. It is important to reach out and take the hand of those who suffer persecution at the hands of others regardless of the reasons. It is important to make people real and human.

When I did my undergraduate work, I was able to take one special education course. In the course, a point that was made several times and stuck with me was that we are more alike despite obvious differences than we are different. It is overwhelmingly so.

Do we need science to tell us the obvious? Or, can we see the humanity that lies beneath the differences we want to see?

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and spent the last 14 years teaching in an incrediable hybrid school setting. My dissertation topic and research were how teachers experience becoming who teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. We need to see the humanity that lies beneath the differences

2. Amen, very well said.

3. Very well put. Unfortunately, some people are even blind to the science regarding our similarities.

4. We are more alike indeed Ivon. That’s why it is so perplexing how we treat one another. Love, sheri

5. I think nearly all races want exactly the same thing……food, education, job, family, success, a roof over one’s head and a thriving community around them.

Even those who commit the worst atrocities probably want a sense of community and ‘belonging’ to their peers (even if only a band of guerrilla fighters).

6. Well Ivon you hit another rock solid home run again. Even science traces the human race back to a single person (actually I think it said single woman). So we are all brothers and sisters. Maybe a few times removed, but still brothers and sisters. If this world could just learn to love it’s brothers and sisters what a peaceful world we would live in.

7. Neuroscience through the use of functional MRI’s has discovered peace of mind, mental wellbeing is further enriched by giving to others and especially if we do not expect reward.

In this caring of others, our own self worth is flamed the greatest. Minute resting but if you think about it, loving Kindness giving is about as far as we can get from serving our ego.

As the saying goes we are no stronger than when we bend down to give a helping hand to another.

8. Bad news. I nominate you for a Liebster. If I recall you’re not into awards, that’s ok. Haha. Cheers.