ordinary gateway

ordinary gateway.

This is another post that I tucked away some time ago. The image is intriguing. Bert took a picture of a mushroom from underneath which is not where we look at things from quite often. Here, we find an ordinary gateway where the Sun lets us see things differently shining through the mushroom’s folds.

Martin Heidegger, a brilliant philosopher and not so great person, wrote that we can only see the face of an object unless we change our place in relationship to the object gaining a new perspective and insight.

When we change our point-of-view, it is like a new gateway into something we have not experienced. As well, when we go to the backside and underneath, perhaps there is an un-experienced silence. It is like driving past a mountain on a busy highway with its busyness that does not exist on the other sides. When we find those quiet spaces, the silence speaks to us from the object’s essence and something new reveals itself.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and taught for 15 years in a wonderful hybrid school. My dissertation topic and research were how certain teachers experience becoming who teachers. In teaching and leanring, I am a boundary-crosser who understands moving ahead is a leap of faith. Teaching is a calling and vocation to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what calls me next. I am an educator, phenomenologist, scholar, boundary-crosser, published poet, author, parent, grandparent, and spouse.

1. I think that is true too.
    Leslie

2. What interesting observations! Sometimes when I take a step back from a situation then I find a new way to reach a resolution for it.

3. I like the idea of changing perspective. And the photo of the mushroom was quite beautiful.

4. Excellent thoughts and I love the way you brought Heidegger´s into the spotlight.
    Very accurate!. All the best to you. Aquilean a:D

5. I had forgotten about the poetry, I still remember the mushroom. Went to that (partially flooded) forest today to make another set of pictures … anouncing spring … 🙂
    Thanks for reminder and the link.

6. Thanks for visiting and following my page, your page is just so great . If u have time, visit mine again for fun trinhmanhdo.com. and thanks very much 😉

7. So true will think about it next time see mushrooms

8. Interesting. Wisdom prevails.

9. Well said. Remembering the I-Thou relationship is always centering.