The Peace of Wild Things

I have many favourite poets that I always return to at various times. Wendell Berry is one of those poets. The words inspire me to pause, soak them in, and not rush on too quickly.

Sometimes just experiencing the primal world before I think about it is wonderful and filled with wonder as miracles show themselves slowly. It leaves me thoughtful and full of thought as I just, ponder, do not tax my life too much with forethought.

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and spent the last 14 years teaching in an incrediable hybrid school setting. My dissertation topic and research were how teachers experience becoming who teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. Such wonderful reflections
    of natural healing from Wendell Berry.
    Today I paddled
    then laid back in the canoe
    and drifted with the cloudless sky šŸ™‚

2. Wonderful poem my brother, thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful Sunday!

3. Beautiful, and thought provoking.

4. So very, very, very beautiful. Thank you for that.

5. A wonderful poem and thoughts that really resonate with me. Thanks for sharing, Ivon.

6. This too is a favorite of mine. Nature can be so calming and restorative.

7. I have loved this poem since I discovered it in a book called Earth Prayers. I shall get a book of Wendell Berry’s poems one day.

8. Yes, wonderful poem, and so true! The wildlife of this world is not distracted with the foolish trivialities of our human world. This would explain why my Dad used to love going on long walks with the dog and just absorbing nature and wildlife for a while, he found life very stressful, being out in the open was his way of restoring his sanity. I think he was right, we all need it! šŸ™‚

9. Beautiful-I find peace in the outdoors as well. It is humbling to see how small weaare in the scheme of things, yet how important each part is to the whole… beebee

10. A lovely, lovely poem. I really enjoyed reading this. Well done.