Praying

Mary Oliver writes wonderful, often short, poetry and this poem is no exception. The small and overlooked things in nature seem to call to her so she can share their words with the world.

When we just pay attention, we notice people and things that we might overlook in our haste to move through the world and our days. Praying is a doorway, not a contest. Prayer calls upon each of us to listen and give thanks for the world and its gifts. It is in those mindful and attentive moments that the world speaks to us and it is in silence that we hear its words.

It doesn’t have to be
the blue iris, it could be
weeds in a vacant lot, or a few
small stones; just
pay attention, then patch

a few words together and don’t try
to make them elaborate, this isn’t
a contest but the doorway

into thanks, and a silence in which
another voice may speak.

I am a retired educator who recently completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. My dissertation topic and research was how teachers experience becoming who they are as teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. I’ve just finished Tolle’s “Awakening”… so just beginning to get what you mean :). A Wonder Full poem, indeed.

2. I adore her poetry and would love, love, love to meet her in person and spend time talking to her. 🙂 ❤

3. Those who have eyes to see and ears to hear can find enjoyment in what they encounter.

4. It could be pigeon poop on the sidewalk, too. 😉 (from the Master herself) maryrensberry.wordpress.cim

Thank you for the good read. A shift in perspective is what it’s all about. You get what you put your attention on. Let’s focus on beauty, love and peace and the solutions to reaching those ideals.

5. So love Mary Oliver and any of her words, thank you for sharing because yes it is about taking a moment to be mindful.

6. This was a great poem. I am about to see more posts by Mary Oliver! Thank you for posting this.