Morning Haiku

When I taught, I used haiku for a various reasons. They are included in two curricula: Language Arts and Social Studies. In Language Arts, students are asked to select words that bit fit rhythm and message of a poem. In Social Studies, haiku were part of a unit on Japan, its history, and its culture. The unit included traditional and contemporary examples. Last, but not least I enjoy haiku, as well.

I think students sense when teachers are passionate about subjects, but conflicting messages adults send can be confusing them. At times, students came to school and said a parent questioned them about why I made them learn “stupid haiku.” I worked for an administrator who made a similar comments. I tell others that leaders pick words carefully and poetry helps us learn how to make those choices.

I love poetry and haiku because they challenge me to think about choosing words, spaces between them, and punctuation. Language and its rules have power that we often overlook.

Sonia Sanchez wrote this haiku and it reminds me how I experience my day tells others something. When I responded to students about why we learned haiku, I chose my words carefully, tempering the conflict that arose because of how I experienced poetry versus how a parent did. I hoped the words I chose signaled something about my day well so that others could enjoy their day.

Let me wear the day
Well so when it reaches you
You will enjoy it.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and spent the last 14 years teaching in an incrediable hybrid school setting. My dissertation topic and research were how teachers experience becoming who teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. That is a haiku that really speaks to me.

2. It often surprises me that even among educators and writers, poetry (haiku included) is not something they really care about.

3. I enjoy Haiku also.
    I’ve never tried writing any, but have written poems from time to time.

I imagine Haiku to be difficult to construct and in that, perhaps, a worthwhile challenge for students.

People who criticise it probably don’t understand it (or the talent it takes to write it).

The beauty (of it) is in its simplicity and powerful message.

• They are tricky to write. I found that with time I got better. I could write one on the spur of the moment to provide examples for students. I think there is a simplicity that belies the complexity.

4. I like the way you describe poetry as being a choice of words and space… so true, Ivon.

5. this is a brilliant haiku! and fantastic post Ivon.

6. Love your perspective Ivon … and this morning’s haiku!
    I feel it 💛

7. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    WELL-WORN….MORNING HAIKU!

8. A great and meaningful art form indeed. My wife to be and I have asked the guests of our upcoming wedding to each prepare a haiku as part of our ceremony as they share their wishes and wisdom. We chose it for all the reasons you praise it so here’s hoping it produces a bit more magic in a month. 🙂