The world offers itself to your imagination ~ Mary Oliver

“You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves. Tell me a…

Source: The world offers itself to your imagination ~ Mary Oliver

Mary Oliver is one of my many favorite poets. The poem Wild Geese, which is the poem these lines are from, comes from Poetry Showcase.

In the poem, Mary Oliver reminds us that we are part of a larger family and are being called home. When we are mindful, we can hear who and what calls us and we can imagine what that means to each of us. Even in the busyness of our living, there is something calling us to awaken and listen more closely.

I am a retired educator who recently completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. My dissertation topic and research was how teachers experience becoming who they are as teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. “Even in the busyness of our living, there is something calling us to awaken and listen more closely.” This is the truth.

2. Yes, thank you. Want you to know I will be in areas of poor to little internet for the next two weeks so you may not hear from me.

3. I only recently discovered Mary Oliver through my online yoga teacher, Melissa West. She built an entire class around Wild Geese. I am definitely going to have to look into more of Mary Oliver’s poetry.

4. Never heard about her but wow.. have to locate a book by her now..

5. I have to smile…yesterday I read this post and it led me to explore Mary Oliver for hours so I even forgot to come back and “like” the post. Now I am a happy owner of more of her books 🙂

6. Oh it’s lovely. Her poem speaks to the feelings of belonging and has such a comfort about it xx