Make Music with Your Life

I am writing again, so I am blogging less. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but I am writing an article.

Bob O’Mealley’s poem speaks to me in several ways, despite how short it is. How we live is precious. It is musical and offers us jewels to wear.

For me, a second message is the blues. I love the blues and listen to them. I don’t sing well, but, when there is a blues song on that I know, I howl like a guitar player and cut every deep day madness into jewels.

I used to play music many mornings as the students came into the classroom. Music is a universal language and reaches across generations, cultures, ethnicities, etc.

Make music with your life
a
jagged
silver tune
cuts every deepday madness
into jewels that you wear

Carry 16 bars of old blues
with you
everywhere you go
walk thru azure sadness
howlin
Like a guitar player

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and spent the last 14 years teaching in an incrediable hybrid school setting. My dissertation topic and research were how teachers experience becoming who teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. gracious, lil scapegoat

Yes, I am currently listening to Cinderelli, Condeeelli, all we hear is Cinderelli. I love that song.

2. Thank you for this jewel, Ivon! Have a wonderful summer.

3. Ah…music…😊 When I worked closely with federal executives in a structured leadership program for four weeks, I always had music on, when they came in and sometimes when o scheduled reflection (journaling) time. It’s the best! Wishing you well in your writing!

4. My musical tastes run in all directions, as do my interests. Your playing music in the classroom reminded me of my years teaching first grade. I always started the day singing some songs and getting everyone in a happy mood…or at least trying. It made me feel better!

• I know many primary teachers who begin their day singing with their students and parents dropping their children off. I don’t sing well, so playing music was a better option. At the junior high level, it created conversations about my musical interests and those of the students.

5. Thank you for bringing this wonderful poem to my attention–love all of it!

6. Great poem! I think that music help can sooth and heal any problem! It can reach us in a place where nothing else can. In the case of the blues, it reaches the soul!