Wildness

via Wildness

Michele‘s post reminded me of poems by two of my favourite poets.

Environmentalists refer to Wendell Berry and Mary Oliver‘s poems. An educated guess is that Henry David Thoreau, who Michele quotes, informed their writing.

Wendell Berry wrote in moments of despair he “comes into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought.”

Mary Oliver ends Summer Day with the following question: “Tell me, what is it you plan to do/ with your one wild and precious life?” Paradoxically, the question is an answer to her eloquent questions about who created nature.

Nature has a way of being and providing us with lessons for life. It is in meditative moments, when we just are, we grow to understand what that can mean. We grow and value what is essential not to us, but to those who come after us.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and spent the last 14 years teaching in an incrediable hybrid school setting. My dissertation topic and research were how teachers experience becoming who teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. Pingback: Wildness — Teacher as Transformer | O LADO ESCURO DA LUA

2. Thank you, Ivon 🙂 Your post is wonderful. Nature is so very important to me.

3. nature is a very general term for me… when I find myself in intimate connection with it, I call it god.

4. Pingback: Wildness | By the Mighty Mumford

5. “We do not inherit the world from our ancestors, but borrow it from our children.” It is absolutely right. I love it.

6. I too love Mary Oliver and nature.Very beautiful

7. Hello! Thank you for this wonderful posting. Sorry, for late re-visit. At first i thought the image is from the Bavarian Alps. LOL Have a good weekend. 😉 Michael

8. The last sentence is the most important. We should always be aware of that.

9. We often find profound peace when unencumbered with the distractions of too many voices. I envy those who can find the moments to be in wildness and feel that peace.

It is also the few that steward while others live their lives to acquire the next bauble. Congrats to those who eschew materialistic gain and find their value elsewhere.

Lovely thoughts again Ivon. Thank you.