International Peace Park

I love to go to Waterton National Park and, by extension, to Glacier National Park. They border each other on the Alberta-Montana border and form what is known as an International Peace Park.

When I go to Spokane, I drive past the turnoff to Waterton and it brings back by fond memories each time. Kathy and I spent part of our honeymoon, roughing it in a tent, in Waterton. The scenery is beyond spectacular and, when we are in settings like this, the poet in is spoken to.

The first day we were there in 2012 this deer was in the townsite unconcerned about human presence.

We traveled down the big lake and crossed the Canada-US border. This was the boat we took. Despite appearances, the boat is over 90 years old and was refurbished.

Joining us together

Offering a hopeful message

Carrying peace each day.

Once we got to the American side of the border, we stayed and hiked into Kootenai Lake. We had our passports, cleared customs, and were able to take a later boat. Along the way, I saw some great sights. Having said this, the brush along the trail was so heavy we could not get off of it and I wondered what we missed.

Natureโ€™s cathedral

Dancing lights mingle with shadows

Peace’s benediction.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and taught for 15 years in a wonderful hybrid school. My dissertation topic and research were how certain teachers experience becoming who teachers. In teaching and leanring, I am a boundary-crosser who understands moving ahead is a leap of faith. Teaching is a calling and vocation to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what calls me next. I am an educator, phenomenologist, scholar, boundary-crosser, published poet, author, parent, grandparent, and spouse.

1. Beautiful, thank you for sharing, I needed this today. C

2. Sending peace and all good things Ivon โ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿค“ beautiful post and critters ~ smiles Hedy

3. It seemed to me just a few years back there was an International Peace Garden where you could cross freely between the borders. I’m thinking it was North Dakota but I could be wrong. It was a beautiful garden with the walls filled with wise sayings…something I always enjoy. Someplace I still have a booklet of those wise sayings that I purchased there.

4. Beautiful and the deer is so sweet.

• Thank you Gigi. And, there is a difference between the town and country deer. The town ones do not worry about humans the way the country deer do. The latter keep their distance.

5. Great place to visit! I love the picture of the deer.

6. Hey Ivan,
    What a companionable set of talents you have: photography that inspires poetry. And such an extraordinary part of the world you live in to prompt the inspiration of both gifts! Thank you for sharing these shots of a Park I knew nothing about until I visited here. Blessings, Alia

7. so love your photos. so serene, so breathtaking. and the prose you provide! so lucky i found your site.