Prayer of St. Francis

I did post this March 19, 2020 at One Step, Then Another, but it is special. Kathy and I celebrate our anniversary today and this was a reading at our wedding. Initially, the priest was reluctant. I think he saw the disappointment and let us use it.

When I heard the organ, I stood, literally shaking I was so nervous. I turned, looked at Kathy and her Dad, and stopped shaking. What was meant to be was meant to be.

Regardless of one’s relationship with others, intimate or distant, these are words to guide how we accept the Other, as Emmanuel Levinas said. This way lifts the Other to a human subject in an I-Thou relationship, rather than as an object and it.

Lord make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
And where there is sadness, joy.
O divine master grant that I may
Not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
To be understood as to understand;
To be loved as to love
For it is in giving that we receive-
And it’s in pardoning that we are pardoned.
And it’s in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen.
We took this at the Grand Canyon several years ago.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and taught for 15 years in a wonderful hybrid school. My dissertation topic and research were how certain teachers experience becoming who teachers. In teaching and leanring, I am a boundary-crosser who understands moving ahead is a leap of faith. Teaching is a calling and vocation to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what calls me next. I am an educator, phenomenologist, scholar, boundary-crosser, published poet, author, parent, grandparent, and spouse.

1. Happy Anniversary!! Still a remarkable and thoughtful passage.

2. George Bachul

Great passage. Not sure why the priest would be reluctant. Happy Anniversary young fella.

• Thank you George. I think it was long before the idea of having people choose their readings was common. He was a younger priest at the time, as well. It might have been the first time.

3. Amen, and congratulations!

4. Congrats. Great as we celebrate the encyclical on the environment

On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 7:08 am, Teacher as Transformer wrote:

> ivonprefontaine posted: “I did post this March 19, 2020 at One Step, Then > Another, but it is special. Kathy and I celebrate our anniversary today and > this was a reading at our wedding. Initially, the priest was reluctant. I > think he saw the disappointment and let us use it. Wh” >

5. That prayer should serve as a guide to everyone. May you and Kathy share many more years together. Happy Anniversary!

6. Happy Anniversary Ivan and Kathy,
    Your wedding prayer set an intention that you seem to have lived into through your journey together in life.You look very happy at the Grand Canyon. May you continue to hear the Guidance in whatever forms it comes. The St. Francis Prayer was a great foundation. I hope the priest has expanded his understanding since he married you. Perhaps, because he married you. Blessings on your love and your life, Alia

7. Wow!!! You people are beautiful together.

Happy Anniversay!!
    May you share many more years together.. And your love stays forever. 😊😊

8. Happy Anniversary to you both! That is such a beautiful prayer. It means so much to me as well. I have it hanging in my foyer, near a copy of the Desiderata. Wishing you many blessings on this special day and henceforth.

9. Happy Anniversary!!! And, thank you for this prayer 🙏🏽

10. Happy Anniversary, Ivon & Kathy! Stay safe, happy and healthy! ヽ( ・∀・)ノ

11. I still love you and our journey together, Ivon! I am looking forward to many more years at your side. Happy Anniversary!

12. Happy anniversary! 💖

13. A beautiful choice for a wedding. Happy Anniversary!

14. Beautiful prayer💖Happy Anniversary❤️❤️🌷

15. May ‘Creator God’ bless you and you’re with many, many more my good friend!

16. We used to say this prayer in our school assembly every day. Lovely prayer, indeed!

17. Hi