Marriage

I don’t do this very often; probably not often enough. This poem is for Kathy. It is our anniversary and, in some ways, we are an unlikely couple. I tell people it is me who has to endure her idiosyncrasies and meandering along life’s path. In truth, she was the perfect soul mate for me with patience galore while she waits for me to grow up.

A couple of weeks ago Renard Moreau Presents presented this wonderful poem and I knew I would use it today. Kahlil Gibran wrote Marriage. It is self-explanatory. There are so many remarkable lines and words that say what I cannot.

Then Almitra spoke again and said, ‘And what of Marriage, master?’

And he answered saying:

You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore.

You shall be together when white wings of death scatter your days.

Aye, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God.

But let there be spaces in your togetherness,

And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.

Love one another but make not a bond of love:

Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.

Fill each other’s cup but drink not from one cup.

Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.

Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone,

Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music.

Give your hearts, but not into each other’s keeping.

For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.

And stand together, yet not too near together:

For the pillars of the temple stand apart,

And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other’s shadow.

In keeping with bell hooks and Noam Chomsky, I consider myself a public and dissident intellectual. Part of my work is to move beyond (transcend) institutional dogmas that bind me to defend freedom, raising my voice to be heard on behalf of those who seek equity and justice in all their forms. I completed my PhD in Philosophy of Leadership Studies at Gonzaga University, Spokane, WA. My dissertation and research was how teachers experience becoming teachers and their role as leaders. I focus on leading, communicating, and innovating in organizations. This includes mindfuful servant-leadership, World Cafe events, Appreciative Inquiry, and expressing one's self through creativity. I offer retreats, workshops, and presentations that can be tailored to your organzations specific needs. I published peer reviewed articles about schools as learning organizations, currere as an ethical pursuit, and hope as an essential element of adult eductaion. I published three poems and am currently preparing my poetry to publish as an anthology of poetry. I present on mindful leadership, servant leadership, schools as learning organizations, how teachers experience becoming teachers, assessement, and critical thinking. I facilitate mindfulness, hospitality retreats. and World Cafe Events using Appreciative Inquiry. I am writing and researching about various forms of leadership, how teachers inform and form their identity as a particular teacher, schools as learning organizations, hope and its anticipatory relationship with the future, and hope as an essential element in learning.

1. Beautiful indeed. A wonderful tribute to your wife. Happy anniversary, Ivon.
    Russ

2. Much long happiness together.

3. My husband Thom and I used that very poem as a part of our wedding vows, and took it to heart, as we celebrated our 30th anniversary last March. Happy anniversary to you and Kathy, and many many more!

• Naomi, you are the second person to mention that. We used the Prayer of St. Francis and it hangs on our bedroom wall. Both poems are such powerful reminders of what is important in life. Thank you for your comment.

4. Happy Anniversary to you and yours my friend. 🙂

5. Awww…I think the more unlikely the couple, the more wild the success — Happy Anniversary, Dear Teacher! 🙂

6. What a wonderful gift to your wife and to your readers. Thank you for sharing. Happy Anniversary.

7. Happy Anniversary and nice selection…

8. Happy Anniversary! May love be a moving sea between the shores of your souls and the sky above it sunny and blue most of the time!

9. we also used it at our weddings nearly forty years ago !
    Best wishes to you both for this anniversary and all the others…

• We used the Prayer of St. Francis and have it sitting on our bedroom wall as a reminder of important things in life. This one shares a similar message and I would have loved it on our wedding day. Thank you for the wonderful comment Valerie.

10. A beautiful description of unity of heart… Happy anniversary, Ivon!

11. How beautiful and absolutely TRUE!

12. A magnificent guide/poem for marriage..and my heartfelt congratulations on your anniversary. Wishing you and Kathy a glorious day and year ahead.

13. Vicki (from Victoria A Photography)

Just…….beautiful.

14. Happy Anniversary and may all your days together shine bright.

15. happy anniversary with wishes for many more

16. Congratulations and the poem is beautiful!

*MY GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD!*

17. Sweet tribute, Ivon. My husband and i have been together for twenty years. It was my third attempt at marriage, his first. He is twenty years my junior, and so I felt impatient at times, wishing he’d just grow up. What I understand now is that we both needed it in equal measure, just in different ways. I so admire this man whose steadfastness and enduring love has transformed my own life. I have become a far better person for it. Happy Anniversary!

18. Pingback: Road Trip A-Z Challenge Day 16 | My Daily Prompt Blog

19. Happy Anniversary Teacher. Wish you and your wife good happiness, peace, harmony and prosperity. Beautiful lines 🙂

20. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS YOUR UNION.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

21. How sweet – Happy Anniversary to you both!