Peace is With us Today

Peace is With us Today.

I had an Einstein poster in my classroom. My students referred to him as my dad, because I told a student, who did recognize him, he was my dad. When another student questioned me, I pointed out we had wild hair, facial foliage, and eccentric behaviors.

I enjoy Einstein, because his quotes reveal important insights. In this one, peace is something we offer and gain through mutual understanding.

I am using Jurgen Habermas, Hans-Georg Gadamer, Parker Palmer, etc. in my dissertation. I find important intersections in their work as they stress conversation, communication, and mutual understanding as integral to living peacefully in the world. It does not mean agreement, but suggests we can accept different ways of experiencing the world that allows for non-violent disagreement. We see what the Other holds true in their living as not very different from what we hold true.

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and spent the last 14 years teaching in an incrediable hybrid school setting. My dissertation topic and research were how teachers experience becoming who teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. Hi! I have created a new Award: Power of Words Award, and you are one of the first ever nominees! Thank you for all you do help make the world a better place with your words. Please accept your award here: http://idealisticrebel.com/2015/02/19/the-power-of-words-award/

2. Even if what we see is radically different, we would be better off accepting and embracing those differences than fighting over them.

3. Chuckled at your description of Einstein in first paragraph.

4. Ahhh, a nice conversation among friends…how does it get better than that? xoxoM

5. Each time I read or hear of the Berlin Wall I am saddened because I live a few short blocks from a fifteen-foot steel wall that separates Mexico from the US. It is an ugly scar that runs across our beautiful desert and slices the sister towns of Naco, Arizona, fro, Naco,
    Sonora.
    We used to be much line one town here, but with the wall, that is no longer true. And to make things worse, they are busy now building a second wall about twenty feet away from the old one so if someone does indeed scale one, he will be trapped in a long, narrow patrolled area. It is about as far from peace as you can imagine,

6. Always enjoy Einstein quotes. Those eccentric people have the greatest ideas it seems.

7. I sense a sadness in you and I am sorry about that. From the time I first punched the button to follow I always admired what you had to say and treasured it. Because of you I came to know Mary Oliver and Rumi and now purchase their books. I am much older than you, and know that where politics is concerned none of us will ever have all that we would have liked, but as you mentioned, mutual understanding and communication are great stepping stones in all aspects of life. The best any of can do next is to continue to follow our Lord as we adjust to circumstances beyond our control and press on like the apostle Paul “forgetting what is behind.”