Periphery

Last summer, I attended a retreat in Wisconsin. Each morning, I went for a walk on the wonderful paths they had at the retreat centre. One morning, I felt I was being watched. I tried to only use my peripheral vision and not change my pace and gait.

After the rabbit slipped into the underbrush,  I wondered what else I might miss in the hubbub of daily living. When I returned to the retreat centre, I jotted thoughts down and this is the result, several months later.

On my morning walk,

A slight movement on my periphery

I am being watched.

I move my eyes;

I try keeping my pace

I don’t.

I see it,

A rabbit

I am not on its periphery.

As it slips away,

I wonder

What do I miss in what I call living?

I am a retired educator who recently completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. My dissertation topic and research was how teachers experience becoming who they are as teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. Loved it. I miss much…

2. A rabbit – ora – and also a bird – silent bird ? What a beautiful post ! Thank you – amitiés – france 🙂

3. Ahhh….a hare-raising experience? ~ヾ(^∇^)

4. Seeking more.. I understand this.. beautiful writing

5. Today if I’d had my head down weeding as I had been doing – took a break to sit with one of the dogs – I heard a plop! and the two Francolins who hang sometimes in our yard jumped over the fence, one by one. Plop! Plop! Look around – we are wild, after all – and begin pecking about in the leaves and macnut husk mulch. Too fun.

So much activity just in the bird kingdom in our yard. I keep the bird bath clean every morning, and various species, from the tiny Mejiro to the dove, show up for their morning ablutions.

6. I belong to a local Camera Club and each month we have a list of ten things to photograph. It amazed me how much I saw along my daily path as I began looking for these ten items. It’s an exciting world out there.

7. This is an awesome observation. I have similar reflections about life on my walks in nature.