Periphery

Last summer, I attended a retreat in Wisconsin. Each morning, I went for a walk on the wonderful paths they had at the retreat centre. One morning, I felt I was being watched. I tried to only use my peripheral vision and not change my pace and gait.

After the rabbit slipped into the underbrush,  I wondered what else I might miss in the hubbub of daily living. When I returned to the retreat centre, I jotted thoughts down and this is the result, several months later.

On my morning walk,

A slight movement on my periphery

I am being watched.

I move my eyes;

I try keeping my pace

I don’t.

I see it,

A rabbit

I am not on its periphery.

As it slips away,

I wonder

What do I miss in what I call living?

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and spent the last 14 years teaching in an incrediable hybrid school setting. My dissertation topic and research were how teachers experience becoming who teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. Loved it. I miss much…

2. A rabbit – ora – and also a bird – silent bird ? What a beautiful post ! Thank you – amitiés – france 🙂

3. Ahhh….a hare-raising experience? ~ヾ(^∇^)

4. Seeking more.. I understand this.. beautiful writing

5. Today if I’d had my head down weeding as I had been doing – took a break to sit with one of the dogs – I heard a plop! and the two Francolins who hang sometimes in our yard jumped over the fence, one by one. Plop! Plop! Look around – we are wild, after all – and begin pecking about in the leaves and macnut husk mulch. Too fun.

So much activity just in the bird kingdom in our yard. I keep the bird bath clean every morning, and various species, from the tiny Mejiro to the dove, show up for their morning ablutions.

6. I belong to a local Camera Club and each month we have a list of ten things to photograph. It amazed me how much I saw along my daily path as I began looking for these ten items. It’s an exciting world out there.

7. This is an awesome observation. I have similar reflections about life on my walks in nature.