Ode to a Bookstore

Kathy and I escaped Phoenix relatively unscathed. We love bookstores and on several occasions we bought extra suitcases to carry trophies home.

Despite escaping relatively unscathed, there was still a close call and it found its way into a poem.

There it sat

I had sensed it

Even heard it call my name

Oh so furtively and seductively.

There it was

I knew it was close by

It sat in the back corner

A harsh piece of asphalt

Yet, so compelling and inviting.

I hurried

Some might even say I scurried

But, I heard a cautionary voice

Some might even say threatening

“You only get one!”

“That is your allowance!”

I entered that sanctuary

That quiet, hallowed place

Ah, a bookstore

Not just some Internet siren

It was a real live bookstore

What a treat!

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and spent the last 14 years teaching in an incrediable hybrid school setting. My dissertation topic and research were how teachers experience becoming who teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. Yes, I love browsing in bookstores too – especially the smaller ones.

2. wonderful! i have a sudden urge to drop by the bookstore

3. I’d love to spend the night in one and just listen. Glad you came by.

4. libraries and book stores; my favorite places to visit.

5. A bookstore is a wonderful place to visit. So many treasures!

6. A double thank you Ivon, wonderful post and poem!

7. Oh, the Kindle-only bookstores will be dust-less and un-fun! I also love stores that specialize in paper, notebooks, and cards. Mmmm!

8. Oh yes, I know that voice.. but I always come out with three or four, regretfully leaving half a dozen others behind!!!
    Love your poem…

9. As all of the comments before mine, I understand the pull, my sensibilities seek out bookstores as one might an oasis.

10. My whole family could get sucked into bookstores for hours at a time. Luckily no one minded.

11. would you believe there is only 1 bookstore left in all of Santa Barbara? A Christian bookstore, too, not even a Barnes and Noble. 😦

12. Ahhh – a good bookstore is such a wondrous place! I’m glad you found a good one on your trip.

13. The joy of being in an old bookstore, I could be lost in for hours… and libraries.

14. victoriaaphotography

Browsing Bookstores (and libraries) used to be my favourite pastime, but now i can’t bend to read the book spines sideways and can’t stand still for long (even though I walk slowly for hours).
    I miss those bookstores that have closed down in recent years too. I used to love seeing children sitting on the floor in the children’s sections engrossed in a new story or pictures. Even now, I find a home without books strange to the eye.