Early Morning Meditations from Thomas Merton

Thomas Merton was ean interesting person. I love to read his work and think about what he had to say. Despite the fact he died in 1969, I find his thinking more timely today than it was when he wrote. The concept he discussed about the violence we do to ourselves in life through busyness and being now gets coverage, but it might have seemed out of place in his time. He was visionary and before his times. At the same time, he lived such a simple and traditional life. He lived the fullest paradox of life.

A Way With Words

Thomas Merton

I was up early this morning – too early.  I was awakened by one of my “vocation dreams” where I imagine doing something new and different in my life and then wake myself up analyzing if it is possible.

Today, there was no going back to sleep, so I decided to look for a decent documentary on Netflix.  It took some searching, but I found one called Merton: A Film Biography.

Thomas Merton was many things in his life.  A little French boy of artistic parents, orphaned by age 15.  A bright, yet carousing student at Cambridge, then Columbia.  A Roman Catholic convert, received into the Cistercian order at the Abbey of Gethsemani, Kentucky.  A hard-working Trappist monk devoted to the contemplative life of prayer.  A poet and philosopher who sought to bring healing to a desperately wounded society.  A hermit who found in Buddhist writings and friendships companionship…

View original post 405 more words

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and taught for 15 years in a wonderful hybrid school. My dissertation topic and research were how certain teachers experience becoming who teachers. In teaching and leanring, I am a boundary-crosser who understands moving ahead is a leap of faith. Teaching is a calling and vocation to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what calls me next. I am an educator, phenomenologist, scholar, boundary-crosser, published poet, author, parent, grandparent, and spouse.

1. I love Thomas Merton! Thank you for this!

2. Ivon –

Thank you for reposting this. Quite a few people have visited my blog to read more about Merton. It has inspired me to schedule a visit to “The Thomas Merton Center” at Bellarmine University in Louisville, Kentucky and write about it in a follow-up post (perhaps even a series).

Keep up the good work.

• Thank you Tony. I have received several comments about the post from people who had not heard of Merton, as well. I look forward to your future posts.

• Yes, I just heard back from the Assistant Director at the Thomas Merton Center and I plan to make my first “pilgrimage” the latter part of next week. I will keep you posted.

3. Stephanie Jill Rudd

Yes I too love Merton. Wonderful, thank you for reposting this.

4. victoriaaphotography

Thank you for introducing me to Thomas Merton – a most interesting man.

5. Well invited one. Thank you

6. As much as the world changes, most of the changes are on the surface. The essentials don’t change that much. And the many thinkers that have shared with us their understanding of timeless values, can be read and offer learning and wisdom long after they have finished their journey here in this world. Merton was one of those.

• Shimon, your opening line reminds me of words my dad used to say to us when I was much younger. He always said, “Values don’t change. It is the way we understand them that does.” I enjoy Merton because he reminds me of a better way to understand values and hold them so they do not become misunderstood.