Don’t Quit

I wrote in my journal today that it seemed only a couple of weeks ago that I could not seem to find much material. I sent out some emails and the bounty is amazing. One professor of curriculum studies sent me almost 1000 pages of PDF materials and names. At the same time, I came across another professor of curriculum studies who looked at curriculum through a post-modernist and chaos theory lens.

I was never close to quitting but it underscores the sense of impermanence in life. Things are never static. They move along into the next moment.

Edgar A. Guest’s poem seemed right in light of the turnaround. It means lots of reading but the writing is slowly emerging that goes along with it.

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will

When the road you are trudging seems all uphill,

When the funds are low and the debts are high,

And you want to smile but have to sigh,

When care is pressing you down a bit,

Rest, if you must—but don’t you quit!

Life is queer with its twists and turns,

As everyone of us sometimes learns,

And many failure turns about,

When he might have won had he stuck it out;

Don’t give up, though the pace seems slow,

You might succeed with another blow.

Success is failure turned inside out

the silver tint of the clouds of doubt

And you can never tell how close you are,

It might be near when it seems afar;

So stick to the fight when you are hardest hit

It’s when things get worse that you mustn’t quit!

I completed a PhD at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. Previously, I taught for 20 years and spent the last 14 years teaching in an incrediable hybrid school setting. My dissertation topic and research were how teachers experience becoming who teachers, as human subjects. For me, teaching is a calling and vocation that allows me to express who I am as a person. Currently, I am waiting and listening to what will call me. We have begun a small consulting and leadership firm called Rocky River Leadership & Consulting Ltd.

1. Excellent post! Thank you for sharing!

2. Good – I needed this. THANKS 🙂

3. Kaufman's Kavalkade

Reblogged this on Andy Kaufman's Kavalkade Krew ~ Featuring The Wandering Poet and commented:
    We agree with Ivon. Do not quit.

4. Love the poem, Ivan…similar to “Don’t you set down on the steps cause you finds it’s kinder hard, ” from Mother to Son by Langston Hughes, which is one of my fave poems.

5. There is a lot of impermanence in life, but we learn something from every venture, no matter how small or how challenging. Keep on keepin’ on! http://ohtheplaceswesee.com

6. Wonderful Ivon, and I’m so glad you received material and bounty which re-energized your efforts.

7. Hi there I like your post.

8. Thanks ! nice post !

9. Opportunities are all around for those that ask and look.

10. I have felt like quitting everything so many times lately. Sometimes, we need to quit, move on, be renewed if possible.

11. “Things are never static. They move along into the next moment.” was the sentiment I needed today. Thanks for an excellent post.

12. You write well, I enjoyed your post.

13. Great message. Thanks for the encouragement – I needed it today. I have to remember the closer you get to the summit, the harder the climb. The last bit of the climb is the most challenging but the biggest reward isn’t until you get to the top.

14. Pingback: Where in the World is Steve Boylan? ~ Lessons in Motivation | Andy Kaufman's Kavalkade Krew ~ Featuring The Wandering Poet

15. I’ve always loved this poem.

16. Kaufman's Kavalkade

Ivon, we present to you the imperfectly and belatedly awarded Daily Good Cheer Award for 9/25/2013.

We fell behind due to laziness. But were pushed into action to reward you the award by reading your poem. We shall not surrender, and will continue to award our award.

We have not yet begun to award awards! John Paul Jones might have said that, maybe…

Of course we are proponents of not quitting. Cheers.

17. Such a beautiful poem. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for following! Linda.

18. Ah, I needed this reminder. I had forgotten about this wonderful poem–how?! So pleased for you that you’ve hung in there. Keep going. Et merci beaucoup.