Safe Haven

Kathy went to the farm yesterday and walked in from the road. Although it is overgrown, it is full of memories. One can think of the farmhouse as uninhabited, but visitors still abound. We sat at the kitchen table many mornings, watched the barnyard, and viewed assorted wildlife that found safe haven. Yesterday, this deer visited while Kathy visited and stirred memories.

The farm is in west-central Alberta and on clear days (yesterday was not) you can see the Rockies in the distance at various points on the drive out.

Sense serenity

Surrounded

By nature and memories.

Some visible

Others invisible

Each appears.

A home for being

A work place

A learning place.

A deer poses

Momentarily safe,

Human memories stir.

I am a retired educator who is currently completing a PhD. Prior to teaching, I worked in private industry for 15 years and returned to university to earn my education degree. For the last 17 years I taught, I was a teacher in a unique, progressive, alternative educational school of choice. Currently, I am engaged in a doctoral program at Gonzaga University in Spokane. My dissertation topic is how teachers experience becoming who they are as teachers, as human subjects.

1. Maintaining a healthy connection to one’s past and memories – this has a lovely nostalgic feel.

2. Ahhhhh, lovely Ivon… What a beautiful way to spend time…

• It is. As a family, we have incredible memories of the farm. Our grown sons still talk of what it meant to be there and what they learned.

Ivon

• My grandparents lived on and worked a farm. Most holidays were spent there up to the age of approx. 12. I still have such sweet memories. Animals, milking cows, swimming in the dam, snakes, walks, rain on tin roof…. so many. I understand the freedom to be found…. πŸ™‚

3. I really enjoy reading your poetic and thoughtful posts. Nourishes a busy mind.

4. This splashed a little sunshine my way too Ivon πŸ™‚

5. This brought tears to my eyes, both joyous & sad, such wonderful memories we had there.

• It is. I thought of all the things the boys learned out there and how fondly they speak of their time spent during calving, haying, camping, and butchering. Your boys would even sense that more with a couple of years on our boys.

It was and remains a special place.

• Absolutely. Their conversation invariably returns to the farm and their grandparents, cousins, Christmas turkey and their enjoyment at being there. Thank you for posting that picture!

6. JK Bevill - Lost Creek Publishing

Reblogged this on lost creek publishing.