Courage on the Edge

The dominant society or group within believes they control the conversation. What would happen if we trusted each other and made ourselves vulnerable? What would happen if we acknowledged and accepted differences? It takes courage, but it is possible. It takes us to acknowledge the other and reach out. In those moments of vulnerability and courage, we expose our self in ways that take us outside comfort zones.

There is courage in vulnerability

One sits on the edge;

The perimeter

Or margins

Not hidden in the crowd.

Expand boundaries–

Encourage and pull

Do not discourage and pull

Make invisible visible

Give a name to the other.

Create spaces;

Not for agreement

But, where agreement meets

On the edges

Reveal the other in your welcome.

I am a retired educator who is currently completing a PhD. Prior to teaching, I worked in private industry for 15 years and returned to university to earn my education degree. For the last 17 years I taught, I was a teacher in a unique, progressive, alternative educational school of choice. Currently, I am engaged in a doctoral program at Gonzaga University in Spokane. My dissertation topic is how teachers experience becoming who they are as teachers, as human subjects.

1. Love this! Such wonderful powerful words!

2. Between your last post and this post, I am a bit overwhelmed. I wanted to say something yesterday. Many of the same thoughts and feelings were brought to my consciousness the past few days. I have been studying the Law of Attraction since 2007. I admit I still have much to learn and am challenged on a daily basis. All of which means I am growing daily. Thank you for sharing and teaching. Neale Donald Walsch, stated it can be a lonely journey. I am starting to realize that it is only lonely if you do not reach out and share yourself and accept others for who they are and want to be. Learn from each other. Thank you, Ivon.

3. Thanks for your words. It’s so easy to stay confined in our comfort zones, and it truly does take courage to step out and acknowledge the people around us. Your post has reminded me of the book East of Eden by Steinbeck. Many of his characters lack the courage to get out of their own world. It’s easy to stay confined, but it’s also lonely. Thanks for a post that offers hope and inspires!

4. Dear Ivon,
    Sometimes a few words are like a code that gets deciphered deep down in the genetic structure (or deeper?) and rings like a bell calling to be heard and to become a deed – these last words are like that for me: “Reveal the other in your welcome.” Thank you for that!

5. I like this idea of expanding boundaries by sitting on the edge. Great food for thought. It’s very easy to get sucked in thoughnisn’t it? From edge to the centre “where it’s at”.

• Yes, it is. We feel the false comfort found in hiding when we are fully surrounded. When we stand out, our blemishes are obvious. It might be why a teacher, like Jesus, found comfort on the margins. There is humanness could be revealed and seen.

6. this should be the spirit of every gathering!

7. It is wonderful what happens in a group when we are willing to be vulnerable.

8. where agreement meets on the edges — well said! Thank you Ivon!

9. I could empathise a lot with that..thank you

10. I like the message and tone. I found that it stopped being “me” and “them” when I joined the group and became one with them, seeking and honoring similarities, while respecting, acknowledging, and honoring areas where we were complementary or brought ideas and concepts to each other that might be worthy of discussion and consideration.

Russ