Life’s Purpose

Professional development days at school leave me wanting so much more. It is a pretense of doing something, but is busyness personified. I am left tired, unsatisfied, and with a bit of headache. I just want a choice. What fuels my spirit?

Day’s end arrives,

Quiet seeks me out–

Busyness dissipates;

A frenetic pace abates–

No hurry,

No frantic pursuit of something;

Whatever that thing might be

Remains uncertain…

Unclear,

Lost in a mist

Focus a little off–

I remain unsatisfied

Until, I wonder aloud:

What is life’s purpose?

Or is life its own purpose.

In keeping with bell hooks and Noam Chomsky, I consider myself a public and dissident intellectual. Part of my work is to move beyond (transcend) institutional dogmas that bind me to defend freedom, raising my voice to be heard on behalf of those who seek equity and justice in all their forms. I completed my PhD in Philosophy of Leadership Studies at Gonzaga University, Spokane, WA. My dissertation and research was how teachers experience becoming teachers and their role as leaders. I focus on leading, communicating, and innovating in organizations. This includes mindfuful servant-leadership, World Cafe events, Appreciative Inquiry, and expressing one's self through creativity. I offer retreats, workshops, and presentations that can be tailored to your organzations specific needs. I published peer reviewed articles about schools as learning organizations, currere as an ethical pursuit, and hope as an essential element of adult eductaion. I published three poems and am currently preparing my poetry to publish as an anthology of poetry. I present on mindful leadership, servant leadership, schools as learning organizations, how teachers experience becoming teachers, assessement, and critical thinking. I facilitate mindfulness, hospitality retreats. and World Cafe Events using Appreciative Inquiry. I am writing and researching about various forms of leadership, how teachers inform and form their identity as a particular teacher, schools as learning organizations, hope and its anticipatory relationship with the future, and hope as an essential element in learning.

1. I’ve been in those situations countless times in my professional life….most often left with a feeling of frustration over the superficial nature of it all, and a quest for more meaningful use of time and energy. Your poem captures this beautifully.

2. “What is life’s purpose? Or is life it’s own purpose” The ultimate question. I loved your poem ~

3. Good. Sometimes when we recall how is the life going on, it all appears mostly as captured in this poem. Well stated.

May I put forth :: Imagine life as a game in which we are juggling some five balls in the air. They are Work, Family, Health, Friends and Spirit and keeping all of these in the air.
    It will soon understand that work is a Rubber Ball. If we drop it, it will bounce back. But the other four balls — Family, Health, Friends and Spirit — are made of glass. If we drop one of these; they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged or even shattered. They will never be the same. we must understand it and strive for it.
    Evidently, we are struggling in life which is a water bubble.

In fact, there is another way of feeling too::: “”Life, like a sweet song will hum along. Nothing looks lifeless. Everything is animated by the Spirit-Force. All our efforts will be crowned with success and glory.””

4. Ivon you are a very interesting man with knowledge one could only dream. I think by this poem/write your looking for more as we all do at points in our life. I can offer my opinion rather or not you choose to use it is strictly up to you. OK here it goes. Your going to have to scare your self. Yep that’s what I said lol. Go to an amuzement park ride the biggest ugliest roller coaster you see. You gotta bring life back…… I like reading your work all of it the stories commentaries even those like this that make me sad knowing I have a blog friend out there who feels like their suffering. So my advice is to get clean excitement thats not to pricey. Bungee jumping may cost more and so will jumping out of airplane it may take more than once lol anyways go do something you wouldn’t normally do it will refreshen your thoughts and give new meaning to old ones.. good luck

• Laurie, thank you for the sage advice. I take no offense and know exactly what you mean. I am terrified of heights, but, over the past few months, have worked with myself to deal with this more effectively. I am fortunate because is like a mountain goat and is willing to walk those new heights with me. We hope to hike next summer in a beautiful park in BC which will be quite challenging.

One of the things about my poetry is that I use it as a space to freshen, rejuvenate the spirit, and find those new creative spaces each person needs to feel more complete.

Ivon

5. I often wonder about life’s purpose.

6. I liked the conclusion, “life its own purpose”