The Coffee Shop

I spend time in the local coffee shops, read, and write. I did a lot of my blogging in that venue; however this summer I rearranged my schedule and blog at home. I notice a gentle energy in these settings and in a busy world it is a place to take time and just be.

The coffee shop;

Misnamed I think–

I sip tea

I try just be present.

We gather;

It is about talk–

A communal space,

Congregate and converse.

Companionship’s richness;

Found in quality

I cannot assign a number

It is a fool’s errand.

It is in laughter,

The reminiscing,

The sharing,

We find ourselves.

I am a retired educator who is currently completing a PhD. Prior to teaching, I worked in private industry for 15 years and returned to university to earn my education degree. For the last 17 years I taught, I was a teacher in a unique, progressive, alternative educational school of choice. Currently, I am engaged in a doctoral program at Gonzaga University in Spokane. My dissertation topic is how teachers experience becoming who they are as teachers, as human subjects.

1. About the “misname” – I also always say “Let’s go have coffee”, but I actually drink tea:)

2. I’m much more of a loner than you, plus I get distracted with so much going on around me. I’m jealous!

3. I like to think I’m at home wherever I find myself, but the truth is that I find only at home in the stillness of my flat, that I can write, think & be truly creative.

4. Awesome! When are we meeting again, at the Coffee Shop?:) Missed and thought a considerable amount about both you and Ruth again this week,:) especially at this particular time of the year ~ but neither of you missed much …. the kids sure will ….

5. “It is in the laughter/The reminiscing/The sharing/We find ourselves” – this just feels as beautiful to me as it is true.

6. The idea of meeting friends at a coffee shop sounds so exciting. Every time I plan to go to a coffee shop and have a hot cup of coffee, I land up ordering an iced tea or a cold coffee!!! Weird, I know. But, that’s how it is, always.

On a serious note: I enjoyed reading this poem – i could visualize things happening.